Who/what is Notch?

Years ago people used to make their own stuff more often than now. Magazines like popular mechanics originally used to have articles on how to build stuff, now they are like consumer reports on random tools. Globalization and advances in manufacturing have drove the cost of stuff (and quality sometimes) so far down no one even considers doing it anymore. Back in the day everything cost more because it was made here by people making good wages with little automation, so people didn't buy shit they didn't really need. Now you can buy tools and stuff for almost nothing, but you usually get what you pay for. If you don't use it everyday, fine. But as i get older I'm starting to see that buying cheaper stuff usually isn't worth it, i would rather have stuff that will last til I'm dead. The thing that gets me is certain "advancements" in tooling is really just using old technology made with newer materials and manufacturing.

Tools make you money, invest for the long haul. If you buy some pos tool for $10 that last you a year as opposed to the higher quality tool that costs a $100 that you can pass on to the grandkids where is the savings? $10 per year for 10 years is $100 and you still have a pos disposable tool. It's just simple math to me. The good "cheap" tools and such are at estate auctions.

Seems somewhere after WWII cheap throwaway became the way w extra plastic packaging. Forget taking good care of your investment and passing it on. Screw it when it breaks , just head to the big box stores for more ...

Lot's of great old Companies cheapened production and tools didn't last as long , Milwaukee , B & D , not sure if Porter Cable cheapened up like the others. Worked in a mill where the Sanders stopped lasting nearly as long.

Back