Who/what is Notch?

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I got a new Sherril catalog today and noticed a bunch of items from a brand called Notch. I haven't looked much into gear since last fall when I bought a pole saw. Several things look to be rebranded from former brands and stuff I used to see exclusive from Tree Stuff is now in the Sherril catalog. I found one thread indicating Sherril bought Tree Stuff. What's the story? Is Nick Bonner still with the former Tree Stuff? I liked dealing with them over Sherril but I liked the catalogs with pretty pictures from Sherril.

Yes Treestuff is now Sherrill , Nick is still there.

Notch is Sherrills brand name for gear they rip off from other innovative companies. I guess the Sherrill name is such shit now that they are even trying to distance themselves from it.

I would highly urge individuals to go elsewhere to make purchases as Sherrill is bad for our industry as a whole

We all copy, there was a brush cart made that Sierra Moreno used to sell 20 years ago, I built one thats on the rotator for the last ten years. I'm sure it sucks to have your idea taken but everyone has an idea of how to do it better

Building one for you to use is one thing, to go into production selling it to others is another. Usually using lower cost labor and substandard design or materials in order to hit a lower price point to undercut the original. Northern tool and harbor freight are good examples of this, northern copied the logrite stuff, and logrite made a video of how crappy they were lol.

It is weird that Sherrill would try to add another level of branding to what they already offer. . . I like their Portys and the fact that they offer 1/2" Polydyne in orange. Pass on the rest.

Notch also has some original designs. The Talon saw scabbard is a good example. Other folks have made a saw scabbard. Notch made a different design that is unique in the market. I THINK the notch harness is an original design? (Maybe)

But yeah- most of the notch stuff is clearly copies of pre-existing products. I ordered the throw line cube to see if they're any better than allll the others. I doubt anything can be as good as the faltheimer (❤️) but it's worth it to scope it out.

love
nick

I think that saddle is a perfect example. The Edge was a re-branded Ergolite, re-branded again as whatever it is now. . .

Notch was created to have another brand. A brand that isn't TS or ST. That way it could possibly be sold by other distributors. If I was XYZ tree supplies, I certainly wouldn't sell a product with a ST logo on it. The notch safebloc is probably an item that many distributors would like to sell but not a ST safebloc. That would be advertising your competition.

So little we get in way of tools here these days is not imported, Butch. China has businesses that make crap and China has businesses that make first class products, and all in between...just like nearly every other manufacturing country.

I have a 12" sliding compound miter saw from Harbor Freight, cost half or less what top of the line competitors charge. It is worth every penny, and more. A great buy. I bought a 3 ton floor jack from them, also first rate in quality. But as has been noted, HF carries some mighty poor offerings, too. Just like NAPA auto parts stores, True Value hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. They all have crap and good stuff, from China, and nearly every other country on the planet.

Get a grip. Blanket statements on this subject are not really defensible.

The problem isn't china. China is making EXACTLY what the american companies are ordering them to make.

The problem is that americans keep going into the store and buying CRAP. Blame USA, not china.

Because the meaning of our lives is just to work and consume.:)

Yeah, but why?

I dig work, but buying shit makes me sick. Well, sometimes.

How did we get from buying what we need to live....to buying just for the sake of it?

Does anyone really need a whole new living room set every 5 to 10 years?

Is is possible to be a good American and not buy more shit than your neighbor? Is it wrong to be content?

Good questions, Jim. No, it's not wrong to be content, but society may make you feel that way.

Why? I have no idea. I would guess that marketing has been successful in brainwashing people to consume useless garbage constantly, it's the focus of life for many. Other factors as well like "keeping up with the Jones' " Trying to find self worth in material goods... I have no idea. We should make like the Jefferson's!

Because so many people focus primarily on initial purchase price. They don't think 5 years down the line...just 5 minutes down the line.

I was on the fence about buying the $100 throw cube until I read your review, Nick. 10yrs, that's a good investment. It's not always like that though, sometimes the cheaper stuff is the same or better.

Back