Big chipper

Carls latest vid got my attention, he took down a rather large white-oak-looking tree and made it look alarmingly easy. In this day and age we are always hearing of ways workers can or will be eliminated by automation. Until the treemek vids, I felt confident that nothing had yet been invented to put climbers out of biz. But the treemek acts like a feller buncher for tree tops and we all know what FB's did to tree fallers in the logging industry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really enjoy running my crane and working in unison with my climber, with the com helmets it is really a pleasant work experience. Sure would be nice not to have to worry about your climber getting hurt though. To me I see the appeal but I think I have to get past the fact that it seems like there is no skill needed. I know you obviously still need skill to run the operation but you know what I mean right? Carl Needs to put his picks in a truck not on the ground . Logistics. I still want to see what they do with big wood. I think we are quicker but not twice as quick even though we have twice as many skilled workers. Lots of people are ready to pull the trigger on them though from what I gather....

Since I got the crane I have easily doubled my income. Cory you wouldn't regret investing I don't think, if you want come on down and rough it at my place and do some jobs with us I would be honored

I think it'll be a good while yet before human control's taken outta the mechanization revolution evolving so quickly now.

Bipedal robots under human control from a remote full harness control room in real time, either onsite or off?

You betcha, but still human operated n controlled.

I think it's kinda cool meself!

Like doin calisthenics at home in a control room n makin good coin for bein adept at it.

Jomo

Since I got the crane I have easily doubled my income. Cory you wouldn't regret investing I don't think, if you want come on down and rough it at my place and do some jobs with us I would be honored

Doubled!! Dayum!

I would be honored to come down and rough it with you, for sure. I already do a fair amount of crane work so I know they are usually crazy productive. We took out a truly massive pin oak from a tight courtyard on Friday with a 33t, one huge limb low over the brand new roof was 2700lbs, mind blowing cuts. 8'-10' trunk sections were about 5000lbs. I was like omg we'd be here for a week using a climber or just a bucket.

Idk, owning a crane and thus being able to use it on those trees where it would be nice but not required would be sweet, but I'm still not likely to pull the trigger anytime soon. We run a 3 man crew plus the CO and everyone is always busy, I'd hate to have to add another employee.

Just curious, generally how far 1 way do you travel to keep your crane busy?

I already do a fair amount of crane work so I know they are usually crazy productive. We took out a truly massive pin oak from a tight courtyard on Friday with a 33t, one huge limb low over the brand new roof was 2700lbs, mind blowing cuts. 8'-10' trunk sections were about 5000lbs. I was like omg we'd be here for a week using a climber or just a bucket.

So where are the pics and stories, Cory?

Well that was the story and there are a couple pics on my phone, idk how to get em outta there and onto here.

Paul, btw, when a storm hits, would you mostly wait for the phone to ring or are you pre-set up with contacts at insurance companies and stuff like that? Thanks.

Cory, you need to go to Paul's and have his kids teach you how to upload pics brother!

Take a week off Cory. Give your guys easy jobs and visit Paul on a working vacation. Then we can all see Cory in action.
444 miles for me to get to PC town. If I had time I'd visit a lot of you guys

I really enjoy running my crane and working in unison with my climber, with the com helmets it is really a pleasant work experience. Sure would be nice not to have to worry about your climber getting hurt though. To me I see the appeal but I think I have to get past the fact that it seems like there is no skill needed. I know you obviously still need skill to run the operation but you know what I mean right? Carl Needs to put his picks in a truck not on the ground . Logistics. I still want to see what they do with big wood. I think we are quicker but not twice as quick even though we have twice as many skilled workers. Lots of people are ready to pull the trigger on them though from what I gather....

Putting my picks in the grapple truck would be inefficient in terms of speed as well as being able to pack the truck. I did just buy a 48 yard trailer to go behind the Mek to put picks in as they come down... with the idea that the Mek can do some jobs solo. Also the trailer can go behind the grapple truck to give more capacity in certain applications.

My PK40 boom is no match for Paul's crane in terms of lifting power at radius, but it has other advantages which to me make it far more worth it. For what the Mek cost, I could have bought quite a boom truck or even a nice, small AT crane. Either require a 3 man crew at a minimum, which doesn't do it for me. One huge advantage is how quickly you can set up to work since you don't have to be particularly level. With a helper we can have the outriggers set in a couple minutes, boom deployed a couple minutes after that. Another benefit I'm learning is the super small tail swing of the knuckle boom's turret with no counterweight in the design. Notice how close I am to the eve of the building below. Scott traversed from the roof to the seat of the loader at one point. They claim a PK200 is designed to compete with a 60t AT crane (1500lbs at 140', for example, my boom lifts 1500lbs at 70'). I'd like to have one, but I'll have to work up to it ($700k estimated).

Here's some of the bigger pieces of wood I've picked so far. Nothing crazy, but still a decent sized piece of wood. Getting the trunk off the building, I lifted the tip and rotated it past the side of the building and set it down. We cut it in two and lifted the pieces out individually.
2017-04-10 12.59.52.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.01.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.01.27 PM.jpg

definitly feel my last large removal is coming soon... no way to compete with machines like these. hopefully there will be still large trees to prune. its hard to sell a large tree planting.... everyone wants ornamentals, "something that doesnt grow too large, please!"

Back