Big chipper

PCTREE

Treehouser
Been wanting a big chipper for a while now so we can keep up with the crane.

Conehead 565 with 285 HP John Deere, 22" capacity.

Cant wait to put a big top in her. IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0870.jpg

Can the feed wheel crush downwards hydraulically like a 2400 Hurricane?

One of Morbark's best features IME.

Jomo

This might be a dumb question........how on earth would you feed that thing?

Can you feed it directly with the crane? Wheel loader on the ground?

I guess you have to stop the feed rolls, get a different bite and keep supporting one end of the log?

With a crane, bobcat, mechanically!

That's a whole tree chipper, a big one, some trees won't even engage the governor goin through that thing!

A real maneater......

Jomo

Shit, that thing could eat my chipper for lunch and not even have to spit out the bones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Next winter I will work on a better system to feed it. Our current system is the crane sets it close to chipper and the wheel loader puts it in. If we are in a tight area so can't use the wheel loader we will put the but of the pick on the feed tray then connect a cable from a small winch to it and then as we lower the tips the but is levered into the feed wheels.

I have 2 systems in mind, one a chain conveyor on the feed tray driven by the feed wheels or build a small knuckle boom loader on the back.

It still blows me away how much work we can get done in such short time, like Carl I'm just waiting on a good storm:/:

Nice machine!

How many hours, where'd you find it, why'd they sell, does it need anything much? Just curious re questions re buying used equipment. Thanks.

There's a technique or two for feedin WTC's with a crane that are relatively safe IMO.

Tail tied limbs n logs can be lowered vertically until an inch or so over the feed table, then a groundie pushes it off COG towards the rollers, as the CO gently spools down, and the groundie bails prior to feed wheel contact with branch/log.

The drawbacks are the feed table being subjected to such heavy pick loads, even briefly, bowing them outta square. I know I've had to reinforce 3-4 BC1800 feed tables due to vertical off COG crane feeding.

The preferred technique's of course mid tied limbs n log feeding, but it's often impractical working in tight quarters!

Personally I'd go whole hog n buy the hydraulic feed arm for it, where the operator's behind a steel mesh cage!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory it has 1800 hours, found it online up in Canada , they were asking $45k . Back in March I offered them $35k delivered to me .. they said no

Waited them out and they called back and went for it.

I should mention a guy Matdand from the buzz was awesome and went and looked at it for me and made great videos of it so I wasn't buying it totally on faith alone.

First bad thing is if you look at the picture one wheel is not on the ground. Matdand didn't pick up on that as when he looked at it the hydraulic jack was all the way down so it looked ok. Anyways it's a torqflex axle and I don't think it's going to be fixable, $1000 for new axle. Haven't chipped with it yet but may even go to my wood yard this evening and run some logs through it for fun.

I have always had good luck buying used as I'm not scared to wrench on shit, hopefully my luck holds with this one

For a grand you might as well replace both Paul. Honestly it's a production machine. Do it and don't have any issues with the suspension again.

Good info, thanks.

Say, you mention being able to nuke work quickly with your crane, I'm curious what you think of the Treemek and treemek vids given that you are an experienced stick crane guy. I'm thinking a stick is usually going to be faster because bigger picks can be taken but you need a man in the tree which is extra payroll and safety risk. Thanks.

Back