best rain jacket

And residential is all i do here, and nice yards with tons of landscaping is the norm. Hell even mowing tears up yards when it's wet, pretty much the reason i stopped doing that for hire. We're supposed to get over 4 " in the next two days, which should make this impossible to work in for at least a week. I start a new job tuesday tho, should be interesting to see how muddy it really gets (its a pipeline, and I've heard there's no such thing as a mud out lol).

I think in the wet areas it can be a PITA. I'm slightly interior now and it's typically dry. Logging is all I did on the coast.

My experience with wet is mainly on the sea. I don't work in the rain if I can help it.
:thumbup:I worked several hurricanes and hundreds of thunderstorms in Tingley gear and it's really good. Nearly all of the commercial fishermen hereabouts wear Grunden. It's bulky and a little stiff but about the toughest stuff out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best of luck with the new position Heg.

Thanks squisher. Since I have about 100 hours recreational climbing experience, they are going to train me to be a working climber. I'm fired up for that, although the thought of groundies staring at me while I'm up there rigging on my first climb makes me a bit apprehensive. Hopefully their training program makes me very proficient before I get thrown on a job. Time is money, and pressure would lead to accidents. I am going to study these videos:
http://www.climbingarborist.com/rigging.php

If you guys have better resources, please let me know.

He's got some great vids for sure, but what really helped me was fellow treehouser Gerry's fundamentals of general tree work. It's a book, i believe it might even be out of print now (huge crime against humanity), that is about 700 pages long covering everything to various cuts in the tree, sharpening chainsaws, work positioning, advanced tree felling, and more shit than you will remember in a lifetime. I personally don't own them, but his working climber series of videos would be the go to imho. His climbing section seems outdated compared to today's gear intensive srt stuff, but make no mistake, the techniques can and still are used to this day to do tree work to levels greater than i will ever achieve. He has spent a lifetime gathering materials for these two works, and finally compiled them when an injury slowed him down. They might seem pricey, but please trust me you will learn so much that might save your life. I lack words to express how good his work is.

In the YouTube vein, August Hunicke has the best stuff out there (even he recommends Gerry's stuff), and he is located in Oregon as well so the trees will be the same as what you are working in. His work is very advanced, so remember that when watching him rig large pieces and bomb stuff, that takes a lifetime to make look as easy as he does it. RegC is another treehouser (as is August, in fact the beauty of this forum is these guys are here and actively participate to teach idiots like myself) who has excellent videos illustrating amazing tree work, and now lives in B.C., so he's also in your biosphere. Congrats on the new job, and the promotion. Go slow, and do not try to impress anyone ever. This job will take you to decisions that may kill you, and so you need to learn slow enough to understand the risks that you are undergoing. Read as much of the archives here as possible, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks squisher. Since I have about 100 hours recreational climbing experience, they are going to train me to be a working climber. I'm fired up for that, although the thought of groundies staring at me while I'm up there rigging on my first climb makes me a bit apprehensive. Hopefully their training program makes me very proficient before I get thrown on a job. Time is money, and pressure would lead to accidents. I am going to study these videos:
http://www.climbingarborist.com/rigging.php

If you guys have better resources, please let me know.

I wouldn't venture that it is a better resource, but this is a pretty comprehensive guide to tree climbing. I'm of course a bit prejudiced, being one of the major contributors, but anyway...:).

https://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/policy/2015_04_22NTCGweb.pdf

And every climber should have this little book on hand. High value product.

http://www.wesspur.com/books/tree-climbers-companion.html

And of course this FORUM, which Butch is kind enough to maintain for the industry. With you here i assumed you understood that as an option that you are already pursuing...

Lol Butch, maybe its the booze, but I'm not following the uhhhhhh...?

Congrats on the new job, but we are all terrified for you about you rapid advancement to climber in less than a weeks time btw :) be careful please, not all tree guys are knowledgeable, hell look at me lol

This forum is amazing...you guys are awesome. To take the time to help a new guy out... I can't thank you enough. Burnham, I started to peruse the index of National Tree Climbing Guide, looks like a very comprehensive resource, thank you. Downloaded, printed, and ready for my recliner. Sometimes it's nice to put the electronics away, and have good ol' paper.

Tree09, I bought Gerry's DVDS several years back when I was getting into rec climbing, and I do recall they were excellent. I found his book on Amazon...only $2,842.01
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0965416704/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

And of course thank you Butch for this great forum. I've spent dozens of hours reading and learning here.

I'm in Hood River. Best place on Earth. 45 minutes to mount Hood, Windsurfing capital of the world!

I'm in Hood River. Best place on Earth. 45 minutes to mount Hood, Windsurfing capital of the world!

Awesome!

I agree this forum is awesome! So many years of experience yet humble minds. Innovative, knowledgeable, yet humble enough to take the time to help anyone. Welcome to The House!

THR! ... Made Snow for ten years , Ski patrol for nine , agree there is no magic bullet for raingear. Goretex anything is over rated. Set a slow deliberate pace when learning , allows you to notice details and double check things... Screw production until no longer green. Think before you cut but don't over think the big picture. One piece at at a time safely , takes awhile to get this job. My Tai Chi teacher used to say "I can teach you to play guitar but eventually you will develop your own style" Climbing is the same , within the parameters of correct you will see lot's of variation ( style ) or preferances.

Just typing some thoughts here, the underlying theme of the rain wear seems to be that there is no magic bullet. I wonder how effective spraying aerosol water proofing/resisting spray (for shoes/leather etc) onto clothing that is relatively comfortable/breathable would work.... I'm fortunate enough that we don't have to work in heavy rain frequently, its likely not applicable to that situation though. Someone else mentioned it previously with wax etc and its something I've often wondered myself.

Tried this making snow ... Good short term results , requires constant re-treatment , like every second or third day. We gave up on it , kind of a chemical spray complete w chemical odor.

Back