Fir Felling vid

rbtree

Climbing Up
After three days removing the low growth, non-merchantable trees and loggable firs, which produced over 100 yards of chips, this video covers dropping a few of the sticks and some of the lot clearing, performed by Ken's Excavating. Might be able to spot some of my sloppy moves. The last drop isn't included as it was still drizzling. Good thing, as I missed my gun and slammed a stump, breaking the top 35 feet of the log. Most of the logs had minor defects ranging from a bit of core decay, ring shake, pitch pockets, sweep, oversize knots, and off center hearts. Hopefully, the mill deductions aren't too big..... We sent them to Buse Timber in Everett. Guessing 4800-5500 board feet, from five trees plus one small one. Due to the down slope, we speed lined the three largest trees.... always fun, sorry no vids. Though there are some taken by others on my facebook page facebook.com/roger.barnett.96 We took some big tops, and Pat impaled a 27 footer, cut from 55 feet.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1s6rTlCfef8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good stuff Rog!

That was a relatively small trackhoe mate, the 60 tonner's can really get with it!

Post more old timer!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He dropped the log on your saw!!!

Lucky the bar survived unscathed. My bad for dropping it there, eh? I just now finished cleaning my saws, and that 372 was loaded with pitch, everywhere. In fact, at the very end, I picked up the 357 to make two cuts, sans gloves.... and my right hand was a mess... the client gave me a brand new glove, so I could drive.....and my hand was so sticky, I couldn't get the glove all the way on. Hilarious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff Rog!

That was a relatively small trackhoe mate, the 60 tonner's can really get with it!

Post more old timer!

Jomo

Yup.... it barely got the big stick...the next one, at least he was able to just barely lift it for me to make the two cuts at 32'10" each.... it was 99' long. Another angle of the drop https://www.facebook.com/roger.barn...otif_t=feed_comment&notif_id=1493335913502519

Add the four feet at the butt and the appx 40-45 foot top that Pat took, and you have a pretty tall fir, for residential Puget Sound trees.

Back