Grooming the next generation of tree workers

Page

TreeHouser
I was training my nephew to run the mini the other day. He did really well. I stood behind him most of the time but I had to let him do a little on his own. He is the only boy in the family right now. All if the cousins and siblings are girls. He was bursting with excitement to work with me.
Good times! 20170422_164403.jpg

First class...and a handsome young man there. Raise 'em up right.

But I would be not standing up to my standards if I were to fail to note that some of the very best climbers I worked with or trained in my 30+years with the USFS were of the female persuasion. So don't let that resource go unexploited.

Based purely on experience, I have to say that the right woman can do this work at the highest level. Not all, not even more than a few...but frankly, I'd not say much different about the males of our species. Most can't do it really well, no matter what the sex.

Our good friend Bermy stands as a shining example of how well a woman can stand tall in this field. Good gods, I have seen small women work big manly men into the ground on deep wilderness firelines, and that is as tough testing as anyone needs to look to for proof of capability.

She's 5 years old now. Wearing size 6 clothes. Closing in on 50 pounds I think.

If it works, great, please and thank you.

For real!
And let the girl relatives join in too...I was free climbing trees from about 5 yrs old...��

In another couple of years, if she gets into climbing trees, maybe look at the kid harnesses from New Tribe. They are really good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My daughter has had a harness since she was 5. She has been teaching the other cousins to foot lock. I think I put up a picture last year of her shoes with a well earned groove in her soles from all the rope climbing.

My daughter does dance and balet, both of which have been a huge help with balance in the tree. She is 9 now and about 2 years into the saddle.

Great picture!

It's all good, I take the descriptors 'men', 'guys' to be of the generic variety to mean humans overall! :lol:

Back