Looking to replace a Husqvarna 142

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all.

Like the title says, I've got a little 142 that's really impressed me as a homeowners saw. I'd like to get something similar in size (16" bar, 10 pounds or so.). This saw is fifteen years old or so, so I'm sure why've got more powerful saws in this size. It's a ground saw that gets used quite a bit limbing and bucking smaller wood. What would be decent saw to look for that would be around 10 pounds and at least 2.2 hp? Ideally something a step above a homeowner saw? Thanks in advance!

Zach

Take a look at the Makita 4300. I know a gooooood dealer that will ship too.

Video https://youtu.be/24PVIiRr6Wo

Engine Displacement (cu.in./cc) : 2.6 cu.in. (42 cc)
Power Rating : 3 HP/2.2 kW
Standard Guide Bar : 16"
Chain Pitch : 3/8"
Chain Gauge : .050"
Fuel Mixture : 50:1
Fuel Tank Capacity : 16.2 oz.
Oil Tank Capacity : 9.5 oz.

Net Weight (w/o bar & chain) : 10.8 lbs.
Chain Saw Configuration : Bar/chain in box
Chain Saw Feature : Flush cut handle
Chain Selection : 3/8 x .050
User Type : Farm/Ranch

He also has 100' roll chain shipped $255 oregon 72 CL

6100 boxes behind them but he has 4300 too

17884468_1358222094269956_4844898838563893921_n.jpg

Dolmar isn't a bad saw. In Ohio you will probably have to wait on parts a bit. I would also call a tad heavy. The new Makita made ones seem solid enough but I have never run one.

Makita saws are dolmar saws in blue. I used to get mail order parts the next day, lately had a hell of a time, ended up ordering straight from dolmar to get the ignition coils for my 3410th

Dolmar is no more. Makita has owned them for 20 years or so and now has their name on them in the dolmar colors.

Makita reps are getting the parts to the dealer way better then the dolmar reps did. Per the dealer I deal with.

I am in Ohio. Just got to know the right dealers. My local one suked.

images

The only Dolmars I know are what I picked up logging in Tennessee about 15 years ago. I know nothing about them beyond that they worked on the side of a mountain with about zero support. Now all I know about the makitas is that they feel solid when I pick them up and move them out of the way. I have not used one.

I think it was 2006 Makita bought majorety of stock. They were not interfering in development and so first ten years.
2014 development moved to Makita from Dolmar. Not sure if there is anything left in factory now.
It was not changed until pretty recently.

1991 Makita Group takes over DOLMAR and thus opens the door to new international markets.

Acquired Sachs Dolmar GmbH, chain saw manufacturer. (in Germany)
(changed the name to Dolmar GmbH September 1991)
Introduced corporate identity (CI) program.
Changed the name to Makita Corporation.

2015-16 Makita USA will be assuming control of Dolmar Power Products, distribution, parts and warranty.

When I had the fabulous opportunity to take "Game Of Logging" .... the provided Saw was a Dolmar. Kill switch is oriented exactly opposite the Husky's , just a tiny little thing I guess. Dolmar saws are good.

1991 Makita Group takes over DOLMAR and thus opens the door to new international markets.

Acquired Sachs Dolmar GmbH, chain saw manufacturer. (in Germany)
(changed the name to Dolmar GmbH September 1991)
Introduced corporate identity (CI) program.
Changed the name to Makita Corporation.

2015-16 Makita USA will be assuming control of Dolmar Power Products, distribution, parts and warranty.

As dealer here in Europe with info from Dolmar... We got slightly different info...

Sachs-Dolmar never made saws. It was a company selling Dolmar saws made in and by DOLMAR Maschinen-Fabrik GmbH & Co. to other countrys as Dolmar just sold in Germany at one point.
Dolmar up to recently, WAS not infatuated by Makita.

Now they are and we soon get to see if that is a good thing or not.

Reason for purchase was that Dolmar did not want saws sold in box stores. Just dealer networks..
That was the same with Jonsered, Stihl and Husqvarna too but it is old thinking, now obselete.

2008 I got notification of the start of Makita Sweden.
Makita had then completed deal since a couple years and I bought Dolmars from Tanaka Sweden that sold Sachs-Dolmar up to purchase of this.

A funny (not funny as in HA HA, funny as in odd, wizard) fotnote: Makita Sweden was sub division to Makita Filand that was sub division of Makita Estonia, that was under Makita Germany, that was Makitas Dolmar section.
That meant when all was said and done, the saws I got was a lot pricier (dealer price) than if I bought it as paying customer in Germany.

I was in Germany a couple weeks after they emptied factory and gave a lot of it to collectors. I got a tiny chunk of the cake, others near and more dedicated got a lot. I have seen some of it.

Back