Big hackberry

I'd ask them why are they scared. They go past strangers at a net speed of 120-140 mph, all the time. That's really dangerous.

If they are serious about removal...
For lack of better tools, an 18" long, 1/4" wood drill bit could show a lot of decay or a tiny bit with little invested.

Pics of wounds? Size? Proximity to one another (staggered well versus a column of big cuts)?

If they want it out, and you've offered a few options for retention which they've eschewed (like that word) out it comes.

Sometimes throwing a few dynamic cables on the big leads can alleviate the sense of dread. . .

It's like that up here too. . . people are unaccustomed to the cost of tree removal. Almost everyone I talk to is willing to take the lowest crash-and-dash price.

In my part of the world, the only good hackberry is a dead hackberry. In central TX, they live fast, die young, and have an ugly corpse at the funeral.

If the church has insurance, why remove it? There is not much of a target. Half the folks it could fall on are already beneath the grass and the other 20-30 folks are only there what, for Sunday services before rushing to Luby's and bible study on Wednesdays?

Target plays a big role. I'm just not seeing a target here.

Tree should likely stay but I would want a closer look at the damage to the root flair in that on pic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a chance to climb the tree Saturday. But it was cut short do to a storm that blew in. I have to say it was a big change in how it looked from the ground. Not to mention the family of raccoons that were hanging out taking a nap.

For the most part the tree still seems fine. But there are some larger branches that have vertical cracks in them. I'm guessing do to the wind. I didn't notice any decay anywhere, although there was a branch union or to that was holding water. So there could be some decay in that area I suppose.
And there was a 2 foot long spot of included bark where the tree starts branch out. Or what seems to be one of 4-5 co dominate leads.

I guess it comes down to checking for internal decay, and checking the roots out.

Decay, hollow, bad roots = removal
None of the above = remove everything damaged and lighten up everything else this winter?

I took a few more pics but lighting was bad. There is another line running to a well house I didn't see the first time. And it will definitely take out some headstones and the gas tank if it falls.

Tip of the arrow is where the top should end up.
de0e41513a0350d99f0a6ac88663697c.jpg

0e78f895aeea7675b5c878c112a2de72.jpg

064ebdda390c15a2fb68e8976c559fe0.jpg

100c9cb62553c755dcdd45956ef86077.jpg
e495491809f4e4d8c37a1f3490a2255f.jpg

7cf2145832d8a7c3e5bb343fccded755.jpg

5d97dd4c4cd2ce9e5592ee4f276365ae.jpg

90b3b99ca38eee0b4669b78e1cf4f1f4.jpg

Looks like yu got plenty of room to piece it down gently, with hardly any bone rattling to me!

Jomo

That google earth pic reminds me of a scene out of "North by Northwest" when that crop-duster tries to take out Cary Grant..lol...probably just me though :/:

You'll find defects in everything if you look enough. Defects aren't death sentences. Maybe just some load reduction pruning on defect area.

Protect the buttress roots, add mulch and water.

You'll find defects in everything if you look enough. Defects aren't death sentences. Maybe just some load reduction pruning on defect area.

Protect the buttress roots, add mulch and water.

^^^What Sean said!

Beautiful old tree...it has collected some scars of age. I sense a bit of 'Arborphobia', not unusual in the proximity to a big older tree.
Those splits and the pockets with water have been there for ages, I'd bet they have compartmentalized quite well.

Standing water in a branch fork is not always a problem, I have seem many a natural 'bird bath' in trees that when cut through many years later were perfectly fine, confined to the outer portion of the tree, with no decay inside or anything suggesting progression.

This looks like one tree where it would make sense to do some reduction pruning and a bit of thinning through the canopy, it would cost them a lot less, alleviate some of their concerns about it ever 'falling over', and allow the tree to remain for a good few more years.

^^^What Sean said!

Beautiful old tree...it has collected some scars of age. I sense a bit of 'Arborphobia', not unusual in the proximity to a big older tree.
Those splits and the pockets with water have been there for ages, I'd bet they have compartmentalized quite well.

Standing water in a branch fork is not always a problem, I have seem many a natural 'bird bath' in trees that when cut through many years later were perfectly fine, confined to the outer portion of the tree, with no decay inside or anything suggesting progression.

This looks like one tree where it would make sense to do some reduction pruning and a bit of thinning through the canopy, it would cost them a lot less, alleviate some of their concerns about it ever 'falling over', and allow the tree to remain for a good few more years.

Wouldn't cost that much more to take it out as muck about cutting bits off.

Either way it's a days work, just if you took it out you'd need a tractor loader and trailer.

Good link Sean. Thanks. I talked to one of the members earlier and explained what I thought was best for them and the tree. I still think they are dead set on removal. I'm waiting on a phone call after the deacons and members meet to discuss what they want to do. If it comes down to a removal I'm up for the job if they will keep everything firewood worthy and I'll get rid of everything else. It's a 30min drive one way for me so that's a lot of trips for myself and dump trailer. We will see what happens.
Seeing potential jobs like this that I may end up passing on to someone else makes me want a chipper and bucket/chip truck bad....... one day I suppose.

Bid high.
Figure out when they are going to take the wood. You are going to be fighting a lot of material. If they only want to come at the end, you're going to be moving a lot of firewood.
Specify lawn impacts/ repair responsibility.

There is some slight damage to the buttress roots. There was one that had been skint up some. Seemed to have a few small bug holes in it. For the most part they still looked good.

Don't be afraid to rent some equipment if you think it would help, either a lift if the tree is dead or the climbing/rigging would be too demanding/annoying (probably not this tree because you can just drop it or bomb limbs off it), or a loader. I would be tempted to check on dumpster costs or maybe even a dump truck running the larger trunk sections. I rent those tow behind lifts fairly often, occasionally a mini and a dump trailer. I also call my buddy to drop tubs or even just handle the cleanup because he has the gear. We both make money so it works out. If you know someone like that it might be good to sub part of it out to them.

A day with a rental mini-x with thumb would be a huge help.

Can you burn it? That's going to be cheapest, if it comes to it.

Just got word from my inside guy . The church members voted to keep the tree, and are going to contact me in a few days on prices and options on having it pruned and possibly reduced some. I'm glad to hear that. To nice and healthy of a tree to see it go. A lot of history with it as well.

Maybe we talked some since into them!

Back