Big hackberry

dstimber

TreeHouser
The story on this guy is its between the church and a small home they own. ( I have an employee that attends church here. )They are scared it's going to fall on the church, and want it removed. The tree is around 40-45"duh and around 70-80' tall. They are in very remote rural area and don't have much money to put in to this thing. ( small church maybe 20-30 at most attend). I told them I would climb it later on in the week and get some more pics and see how it looks other than standing on the ground but that I am not really equipped at the time to remove it. So far 2 companies (probably guys like myself) have turned the job down.

I was asked what I would charge if I could take it down. I shot out between 1800-3000. The few there gasped in horror. Is that a ballpark number? They are afraid a big company will ask more than that.

I tried to ease their pain a little and told them if it did go the ever so slight lean was toward the cemetery and most of the weight was that way as well. The wind is also always out of the west which would push it towards the cemetery. I told them that I didn't think it would hit either the church or home they owned. I did bring up pruning it later in the year but they would rather have it removed if they are going to spend any money on it. My personal opinion is it isn't going to go anywhere.

Overall the tree looked healthy. No deadwood I could see from the ground. No ground heaving. Foliage was full and healthy. I didn't notice any tight crotches or included bark. I did see 3... maybe 4 old wounds that haven't fully compartmentalized yet. But overall just a big healthy old hackberry tree.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give so I can point them in the right direction.

Here are some pics right before a downpour. I'll get more later this week. Thanks again

Google view red lines are service entrances to the buildings . Green is the cemetery line and there is a gas tank circled in yellow.

2d60f64868892a37ad98ba9d90656daa.jpg

106e11ac5fe863cb274bf25a7b7501f4.jpg

8b08adfe06e37c05c3905e6db14741a1.jpg
cd278870181d5ea98f07ea872fcf24f1.jpg

a3f55344b6817268a2f01c1a39dc7cd4.jpg

f3043fa05dae4b592121fd160fa9c91a.jpg

bc620c8a313b1d4a31e3673b20fc9bf0.jpg

No haul, 2 days 700 bugs.

Parishioners could prolly use some exercise anyway.

Jomo

I rarely weigh in on threads like this, but 1) I agree with you, it looks like a good, sturdy tree worth keeping. 2) If it has to go, why not fall it whole toward the cemetery, will it reach any gravestones?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea Cory it would probably take out 2-3.

I agree Gerry. Pretty nice for a hackberry. The biggest I've seen in my neck of the woods.

Just me, but i would be inclined to tell them that there's nothing wrong with it, maybe have them pay for a quick climb to confirm it. I always thought professionals should tell people the truth about stuff, even if they would have made a bunch of cash on the job. It's our job to inform people about trees, and not to get scared when the tree is bigger than them lol. If it's bad and has to go, so be it. But i would rather walk from a job that doesn't need it than play off of their fears to make money. Even then, that's what cabling is for lol. Same with people who want a huge limb hacked off, because that is a death sentence for the tree. Looks like it's a beautiful tree.

Sure is a big tree, I would try to sell them a hazard reduction prune but in all honesty its hard to convince folks not to remove a tree, especially a whole group of them. Even if you did succeed in doing so its highly likely they would swing back to wanting it out. Just my 2 cents.

"The first words out of my mouth to the few there were why do you want it cut down? It looks fine to me. " I did mention taking out anything that looked like a potential problem. But I wouldn't cut it down if I owned it. I have them my "personal" opinion since I'm far from calling myself an arborist. Even tho I believe my opinion is better than most in my area. At least more honest. I did tell them I'd spread the pics around and get some more "personal opinions" on the tree. I was hoping mine was in line with what most are commenting on the topic.

I'd be looking closely at that big limbs attachment. The one that appears in the left in most of the pics. As well as checking the roots, maybe probing a bit to see that they're sound. The pic showing the root flare, at the right IT looks like maybe damage? Repeated lashings with a weedsmacker or mower maybe?

If they insisted it was coming down I'd have done it when I had my company. I like trees, I also believe in ownership.

I'd always inform someone honestly of my opinion on a trees condition or viability. But if someone wanted a stump I was always ready to make one.

I have a feeling they are going to be pretty stuck on bringing it down. Oh well lol.
Have I mentioned that someone that really knows there stuff could move into my area and make a killing. Possibly hire me. The closest company I can think of is at least 1 hr away in any direction you want to look. All we have is removal and toppers around here. I guess I'm an aspiring part time tree guy.

Nothing wrong with part timing it. Gain experience, equipment while keeping a steady income from other work.

Mulch.

Stupid thinking, IMO...if we are going to spend any money on it, we'll just kill it for 10x's the cost.

You think locals would pay pro-rates for it when they are probably used to hack-rates? Unfortunately, it's hard for common people to change quickly. With topping, it's generational/ inherited. "This is the way we've always done it (had it done)."

Back