Ram 5500 or F550???

Merle Nelson

TreeHouser
I’m looking at buying a new truck that is F550/Ram 5500 size with an 11 or 12 foot chip box, L Pac tool boxes and the long pole saw box down the length of the bed. I’m looking for any strong functional reasons to go with one brand over the other.

Do you have any ideas about the trucks or brands of chip boxes?

(Thanks in advance, this is a lot of money for me and your experience insight and wisdom are priceless in helping me to feel good about the decision I make.)

I had an f550, flat loved it when it would run.... I'd lean toward the Dodge from my experience with the 6.4. Also, it's very rare I see the heavy dodges for sale used, speaks volumes to me

I have driven quite a few F550's in my time as a fire fighter. I really like them.

It is hard to deny that more and more folks are switching to Dodge though, including the State fire outfit I work for.

I am not entirely sure why, maybe because of the engine. There seemed to be some worry about the V 10 in the Ford.

A friend of mine has a mulch business and has 4 trucks which have traditionally been ford F450s. Couple years ago they switched to dodge and they just love them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahh, good points, thanks.

A few other things I should have mentioned are that I am inclined toward the diesel engine and auto transmission whichever company I go with.

Also there are three different rear end gearing choices, 4:10, 4:44, and 4:88. But other than the 4:88 having a higher rating for towing capacity the sales people aren’t able to give a lot of perspective on pros or cons of either based on facts - top appropriate cruising speed with a given ratio for instance.

And too what turning radius these trucks have. The sales people didn’t know and I can’t find it by my google searches. If I were to go with Ford I would also consider whether I was getting the standard cab or the more personnel friendly extended cab and want to know the turning radius of both.

I'd say Ford. Hit up the truck forums for real info though. I am a Ford diehard. But I'm not a big fan of diesel myself.

If I were looking at a diesel, I would have to look really hard at the Cummins. I have scads of v diesels, and I like them. But aside from the Duramax and the old 7.3 Powerstroke, the Cummins is tops.

One thing to remember is that these pickups have quite tall tires, so final drive ratio is good. You should be okay to cruise with the 4 88's, but then again, you should have good power with the 4 11's.

The newer F550's I have driven were all regular cabs, and turned really well.

It would be good to know the difference between the two brands though.

Geeze, its fun thinking about spending someone else's money!

I agree the cummins is a beast but the new 6.7 power stroke has proven itself since 2011 too. It's no 6.4 or 6.0 either for that matter. I also feel fords interiors are nicer and the fit and finish in general. My .02.

My 2011 f350 steer axle turns so sharp it is a real advantage in maneuvering in general and backing up a trailer too.

They are 550's with automatics and the V 10. Single cab outfits.

On the back is a 22 horse v twin and pump, hose reel with 100 foot of 3/4 booster. 5 gallons of foam, 5 gallons of extra gas. Trash pump, chainsaw, saw gas, hand tools such as rakes, McLeod's, Pulaskis, combi tools and shovels. 500 feet of extra hose, nozzles and fittings. To top it all off there is a heavy fiberglass square tank on the back with 500 gallons of water.

They governor out at 82 miles per hour! Several guys have hit the governor.

Even with the gas engine they scoot right down the road.

I'd take 1 Dodge truck for 3 Fords, at a minimum. I've lived with many of both brands, over the last 45+ years. Not a doubt in my mind. Dodge rules.

Once you throw Chev/GMC into the mix, I get less strident. I liked the several of that sort I drove; they were right good trucks, too.

Ahh. Oh...... just realized you have probably had use of a lot of new/newish trucks through the forest service Burnham.

That's interesting on useful speeds Jim.

The Cummins has always been the most reliable of the three light truck diesels. I know some don't want to admit that, but the evidence is overwhelming. The only bad thing I've heard about the new Powerstroke is that the fuel systems go South on you and Ford sticks you with the whole $17k bill. Buying a new truck is as much about the dealer as it is about the truck, unfortunately.

That's a good point too. Maybe just buying where the price is best at time of purchase could cost me more further down the road.

Now I wouldn't buy any new diesel myself. But I would have to point out that cummins has had its share of problems too. Head gaskets, flex plates, emissions. So while I agree they are fantastic motors but going back they've had their share of issues to sort too.

I'm certainly not trying to defend the Ford diesels, but I think any new diesel is a bit of a crap shoot. Most seem to be a lot more reliable when the emissions are removed, which is illegal and voids the warranty. Not something I'd be looking to do on a brand new truck. I've read of some fuel issues on the newer fords as you pointed out Dave. A 17k us repair would be more than I paid for my entire 2011 with the 6.2 gas.

So while I'm obviously a diehard Ford fan. If I had to have diesel I would be really weighing things out as you are. Hit up the truck forums and read threads on the 2017's if that's what you're buying.

Back