Homemade port a wrap

Buddy

Treehouser
I got off work early today and decided I would build a new port a wrap instead of buy one. The materials only cost $15, way cheaper than buying one. I have some more polishing to do on it and then I will hit it with a little paint.

IMG_3063.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the best things that ever happened to me was after I graduated high school my dad made me apply for a job at a fabrication shop. I didn't figure I would ever get the job but I did. Spent one year working there, learned a lot and made some really cool stuff. I never did learn to weld really well but I did good enough to get by.

Very nice, I'll post mine tomorrow. You obviously took more time and pride than i put into mine lol. And Butch, i love both of yours, especially the shackle one! I posted this in another thread but might as well throw it up here since welding tools up is in vogue lol
90665.jpg

Lol it isn't light. Same size winch as a harken 44 or 46, i can't remember exactly. Dramatically cheaper, non self tailing, which i might add a spring loaded roller to lock the rope against the capstan. I also bought the grcs drill bit thing, which i was furious when i found out its just a 3/4" ratchet. Could have saved the $50 or whatever i payed for it lol. I have a few more winches i bought too, so i might have to be like oprah on my jobs: "you get a winch, and you get a winch, and you..." lol

Yeah I'm gonna have to copy that on my next one. We need some pics of some of Gerry's homemade ones, he has some really cool ones in fundamentals. I think he gave the super cool looking one to Gary Storrick if i remember right, who has one of the coolest websites in history i might add.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about that.... I might take your advice and leave it raw, but it just wouldn't fit in with all the other shiny bits and pieces.

Coool Site. Ill have to explore it more later. Stehanson fabbed up 3 for more in different sizes. Yours looks great buddy!. My welding skills ain't quit up to it yet. Too rough. Steve painted mine, paint just rubs off...

Storrick's site is a great resource, for sure. Has been for old school SRT and rappellers for a couple of decades. He's a caver.

No, but i don't see the point, and it would act as the ears as you walk it to the side. I've always thought a hydraulic capstan on a machine (mini or something) would be ideal. Would turn it to a ground run, so you wouldn't need to be at the base of the tree for raising operations, a skid plate lowered to the ground would remove weight of the equipment from the equation. But what i actually need is an afb or something. Anyone build one of those?

Back