Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mitts and Merrill 720 opinion

I will get some pictures and post them when I get back to the shop. I don't really do it anymore but I'm sure I can get the method shown with the back of my dump truck.

Treehouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
    It was gone to the first guy that called. I don't have enough work to justify a monthly payment on one right now, so the "fiddle with it to get it running" time wouldn't have bothered me. If I could've had it running for under a grand I'd've been happy. It costs us $180-300 a day to rent one depending on 6" or 12". That's fine if you get everything done in one day, but every additional day really eats into any profit. That's why we usually haul and dump. I do have some big trees I could anchor to and roll the brush off the trailer with, but we haven't tried it yet. I assume you're talking about a couple ropes/straps anchored at the back of the trailer, run up to the front and the brush laid on top? Then lay the rope back over the top and anchor behind the trailer and drive forward?
    You can use a cinching method that will compact the brush, rather than "parbuckling" the brush.

Both have their places.

What is the set-up of your brush dump spot? Can you leave a movable anchor point?

Treehouser Sponsor

I don't bleed from chipping.

[QUOTE=SeanKroll;844767]You can use a cinching method that will compact the brush, rather than "parbuckling" the brush.

Both have their places.

Yes they do, in the 1970s.
    I feel that the evening ceases to be languid.

Mick

Doesn't look like today will work for pictures but let me see if I can explain while I sit here waiting for a customer.

First off you will need a bull rope, for example using 1/2" arborplex and having it snap won't help you.

Lay the rope across the back half of the trailer, straight across, with about 8' hanging of one side and the rope in a pile on the other.

Stack your brush on it with the butts facing the back of the trailer. Not sure if you have experience using Chuck and duck chippers but if you do trim the brush the same way you would to run it into one when you stack it on the trailer. You will get a lot more on it that way.

When the trailer is loaded take the short end of rope and tie a running bowline with the longer end so the rope will choke the brush.

When you get to the dump back up to something solid, such as your other truck or a tree. The straighter the better.

Tie off to that with a knot that can be untied under load. I used to just get a few wraps on a tree in my back lot so I could get it off, because it will be tight and under load when you yank the load off.

When I used to do this we could get a 16' trailer unloaded in about 5 minutes.

Treehouser Sponsor

[QUOTE=Mick!;844772]
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    You can use a cinching method that will compact the brush, rather than "parbuckling" the brush.

Both have their places.

Yes they do, in the 1970s.
    Mick, you crack me up.

Clearly a chipper is better than brush trailering, but a lot of people need stepping stones in their businesses, and the occasional terrible access jobs. I've slid down two steep, mossy, forested waterfront driveways with my chipper. POW and bull rope on the one, controlled skid on the other. Long, narrow lots. Turning around is tough. On flat, paved ground, two can spin my chipper because its light at 4400 pounds. I've had to disconnect, spin, and reconnect in order to access a few places.

Very rarely, its easier with a brush trailer, so you might as well make it as easy as possible. A dump trailer is always easiest.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    I don't bleed from chipping.
    Knock on many pieces of wood!

it could be too late...

Certainely have their place and are still manufactured.I rented mucho and thought long before buying ... Just couldn't commit to chuck and duck style , spent more but over the years many helpers , some of the customers , hell even my Parents have fed work safely. Doubt I could ever relax or even look away for a second w out hydraulic feed.

I often tell people when asked the difference ... Open chute style you can easily get sucked into the machine instantly if not careful handling the work , whereas w my Morbark you can get fed into the machine but it it will be be at a slower more uniform rate.