Gaffless Palm Climbers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They certainly solved the rigidity quandary using a steel band!

My set weighs in at 9 lbs, not bad including spur stays!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 48
Tree Bicycle...and somewhere there's a thread that Willard added to of climbing palms in Mexico...

I had a training class a few years ago for troubleshooting cable faults to repair dsl service. The training center had an indoor pole yard to train new hires in a dry environment. The floor had padding at the base of the poles too. Much nicer than Shepperd Air Force Base when I learned to climb, but I digress... one of my co-workers, Vlad, is from Belarus. One day he brought in a set of Russian gaffs. Weird things! They had a foot pad that strapped across the top of your foot with a small pointed stud near your big toe. There was a long, maybe foot-foot and a half long half inch round solid steel piece that wrapped around to the back side of the pole where another pointed stud dug into the backside of the pole. They were heavy and very odd to use. Neat idea, and not TOO much different than the adjustable concrete pole hooks... I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

I've got pictures in here somewhere palm trimming with the Summit tree stand. We'll do around a hundred or so a year with it and it's pretty fool proof, light and a great work platform. Of course I know your springy thingies have great advantages over it, I'm just waiting for you to politely tell me what they are;)

Most assuredly a nice productive day at the semiretirement home!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 46
Round rolling washers, of varying OD at critical support links, combined with rubber washers that are square, make my Palm stepper's somewhat unique.

I've kinda shocked myself, they are very fluid n smooth, rolling over deformities n bumps goin up, and cinching like a mofo when stepping down.

Too good to be true really.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 38
Cable binding mechanism on the main shank, a fixed Palm ratchet, just below the spur stays.

In tree adjustable mate!

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 38
I predict three sets of palm stepper's will be needed to prune most palm species.

From reclinatas to fat boy dates.

Great means of recycling old tires too.

What I need's a one inch square punch!

Jomo

Old School meet's Old Fool?

There's gonna be a disaster!

Rollin Rollin Rollin...like a runnin bowline....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 36
Why does a tree guy have a dead tree in his yard? Family heirloom, sentimental value?

I couldn't think of a more appropriate place.......for a hellbound old buzzard like me, livin off death so lucratively!

Oh I'm deeply trapped in my own karmic groove, there's no escape.

Jomo

No no no Jomo,

These high cable wear friction points?

They must be eliminated entirely!

Do you have any idea how badly you'd hurt your most precious spheres if that cable snapped?

It's very similar to leaning back in your stirrups to stop a horse, raise a leg, kick outward while leaning back, then pivot up on a straight leg, repeat with the other leg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
When mutinous scalliwags tell me to get real n get a grip?

I replies aye mateys, that's zactly what I intend to!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 45
You are trying to reinvent the wheel IMO.
As Burnham showed you, the Baum velo has been around for a generation and are used all over Europe.

They work for palm trees, too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7DjMGr1_SiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back