Inside an old trim job

Buddy

Treehouser
These blocks of wood showed up at work one day and I couldn't figure out why someone would have found them significant enough to bring in. I took a quick glance and noticed the limbs had been painted, so what, big deal... Fast forward through winter and someone pointed out that it was a tree that had been trimmed when it was young and the limbs had been painted. After it was cut down and split it revealed the old trim job. After closer inspection I could see that the limbs had been cut and painted and not just broke off when split.

So now it became a little more interesting, like a time capsule.

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
40 maybe, since it was trimmed. I didn't count the rings when I was looking at it but you can kind of see them in the picture. Not sure of a total age.

I love tree forensics! It takes me ages to split wood because I'm always looking at what had been going on inside before it got cut down.
I like to save clear examples for talks and demonstrations I do.

The log splitting sessions with Alex Shigo in Portsmouth, NH were a great learning opportunity.

That must have been really interesting Bob!
My tutor at College had shelves of bits of wood to illustrate almost every part of tree physiology and biomechanical stuff...it's catching and sparked an intense curiosity to know and see what goes on inside trees.

Back