More Power Needed

Well. You are too. But not everyone does things the same way.

I'm sure the OP after having cut that truckload plus of lumber knows better than anyone how more power would only be a huge benefit.

Still I say kudos for getting it done with what he had available.

One thing about a chainsaw mill that doesn't often get mentioned, is that you can carry it to the location of a tree. A band mill or some other larger device may not afford that opportunity. I've milled some boards that were valuable enough to carry a distance one at a time.

Mangoman.jpg

One thing about a chainsaw mill that doesn't often get mentioned, is that you can carry it to the location of a tree. A band mill or some other larger device may not afford that opportunity. I've milled some boards that were valuable enough to carry a distance one at a time.

Yup. I've used one on removals where getting the logs out would've been a nightmare so I milled em up and packed them out as boards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't cut lately, been raining nearly every day. I only got 3 more logs anyway unless I cut some. I think I may have enough now to frame my truck shed.

For whatever its worth, an experienced miller, who does demo's for Granberg off-handedly mentioned that chainsaw milling in the rain is good, as the saw is cooler (and maybe less dusty). Maybe high humidity can better draw heat off the cooling fins. Stands to reason.

That makes sence but it's been just pouring down off an on, kinda stormy. been raining all day, now sun is shinning.

This thread reminds me of a story I love about one of my relatives not being able to get a replacement radiator for his old truck during world war two. (All copper was going to the war effort.) So he put a 55 gallon drum in the bed and ran hoses from the engine back to it. Ingenious!

My hat is off to a person that can work with what he has available. I would pretty much go buy a bigger saw or quit. So.....my truck would probably be shedless. :)

Welcome to Tree House David Jones.

Merle, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave every one hanging. Thanks for the compliment too. I like the story about the 55 gal barrel, don't think I'm that smart. I'm looking for a bigger saw, just nothing big around here used that I have found, a new ms660 is just out, over $1300 new.

Wonder if you'd have any luck with a used saw from a saw builder like Mastermind Saw Works (member here), which I just mentioned in August Hunicke Videos thread. He has a saw builder reference there, too.

Money is a big thing with me and what I'm doing is not all that important either. In the past I just piled an burned these trees downed by storms and such, this time I bought a 24" copy mill attachment and went at it, around 1200 ft or so, kinda feel good about it too. Mastermind is in Tennesee, right? where in Tenn, I'm in NW Ga.

Oops, just saw you posted David.

I know it's not the ideal powerhouse for milling but I wonder if a 4 or 4.2 cubic inch saw is a big enough step up from what you have been using to be agreeable David? One thing to take into account I guess is how much more do you have to mill or foresee milling in the future?

I am done with what the storm brought down and if I figured right will frame what I want, no 1x's for floor and siding though so a few more logs and that should be it, for now anyway. I still will keep a watch for a big stihl saw though, maybe one cheap to rebuild.

Merle, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave every one hanging. Thanks for the compliment too. I like the story about the 55 gal barrel, don't think I'm that smart. I'm looking for a bigger saw, just nothing big around here used that I have found, a new ms660 is just out, over $1300 new.

I just saw this.

start looking.

Money is a big thing with me and what I'm doing is not all that important either. In the past I just piled an burned these trees downed by storms and such, this time I bought a 24" copy mill attachment and went at it, around 1200 ft or so, kinda feel good about it too. Mastermind is in Tennesee, right? where in Tenn, I'm in NW Ga.

Jamestown.

Where in NW Georgia?

Back