Top n' Flop: Removing a tall, skinny, dead Ash

Now, now,,, those old Mac-T 'tin hats', actually aluminum, I know for a fact have saved many a timber faller a trip to the Doc, and I have never ever heard, through my entire career, of ever having to pry a tin hat off any injured man's head. If ever it happen the poor fellow was probably dead anyway.

You mean that annoying sound it makes in the back seat as it clanks on some other hard object. And it never fails, it has to be repositioned at least twice a day, once on the way to work and once one the way home.

That's a familiar scenario many times over, Buddy. Now, clanging those tin hats, I'll bet, can be heard in the woods a mile away. As good as, or better than a whistle.

I'm uploading the video now, new Crane operator got scared of power lines and yanked so hard I got my head smashed between two limbs. If I had had on a metal pot I would probably be dead or very hurt instead of posting this. A lot of you guys sound like the old Army guys talking about how the new ACH that will dead stop a 7.62 round is junk because you can't cook stew in it like you could the old k- pots, never mind that you could about fold them in half with your hands.

... Those old forestry lids work great when used for the activity they were designed for.

The key here is that they were not designed as climbing helmets. A logger uses logging tools and an arborist would do well to use arborist rated tools.

Why wouldn't a person want a chin strap? If stuff is falling out of the tree onto my head on the ground, I don't want it to knock my helmet off?

Back