Is Door Knocking Professional?

Do You Knock?

• Total voters
It worked so well compared with full numbered signage on the trucks that I'm considering having one made for my chimney business. That I would just pop out on the street whenever I'm scrubbing soot.

It needs a place to hold business cards...easy to drive up to it and grab on the go, as location permits.

...Never Knock on the door , will often leave card on door if they have an obvious problem or even flagged material ... If they are already outside I might walk over. Main line I use after I introduce myself is "I feel like a Jehovah's Witness when I make a cold call" ... this usually gets a laugh except once in awhile when they actually are.

Funny you mention Jehovah's Witness. Two of them showed up at the house today. I am always kind and say thank you because I know their intentions are good.

So, to look at in reverse I would not mind if someone knocked on my door offering their services for tree work, especially if it was something I needed. If they started pestering me as often as phone salesmen I would definitely have a problem with it.

Hmmmm....

" good day ma'am, lovely mornin', have you heard the good news?? I am here to tell you I can save your tree!"

I vote no.

The guys I see door knocking are shady looking types that can't get work any other way, who seldom have the know how or the tools to safely get a job done. I often hear about them asking for deposits up front, doing the easy stuff, and then leaving to never be heard from again. I think overall the majority of door knockers really hurt the image of tree workers. What I get a lot of, probably once a month at least, is customers calling saying they got ripped off by some other "company" and want an estimate to get it finished and start with a somewhat hostile attitude, thinking all the tree guys are like that. Normally they are thinking the price will be about the same too, which I can't even get close too because I actually have overhead that ensures I can actually do the job. So then they think I'm trying to rip them off and take advantage of their situation with the price, which in their mind is perfectly reasonable to think because the last guy ripped them off.

I knocked on a few doors when going to school in the early 70s. I didn't have a car then. But I did ride a bicycle to and fro. Racking up about 15-20 miles a day. Varying my route through the network of country roads in Sonoma County. Dead trees over or beside a house were my usual targets. If I landed a job I'd hire a friend with a car, or truck, to haul me and my tools to it, and to run ropes. Sometimes we'd make a hundred or two apiece. Which in the 70s was rent money. I was paying $85 a month for a duplex apartment. With $300 a month coming in from the VA to go to school I was literally coining it with the few side jobs that I'd get every month.

At the time I didn't think it was unethical to knock, as I was providing a valuable service for those in need.

First chain sore I ever used was lectric, from the monkey ward!

Crazy huh!

Knocked doors cleanup the coast to Santa Barbara! Customers left n right!

Palm trimmers! Get your ugly friggin fire hazard rat condo Palm trimmed!

Gypsy tree service!

California! What a paradise!

Jomo

Today's been a good day Jerr!

Everything clickin along just right!

Everyday of life's a friggin miracle!

That too many take for granted.

All the best to yu mate!

Jomo

Right on, Jon!

Nothing wrong with door knocking, in my mind. That's how I started my business. As long as you see an obvious need and are polite and not pushy. I'm glad that I don't have to down it anymore, but it helped me meet some great people and get the biz going.

No door knocking here. I will look at a tree while onsite but usually just give them a card and let them call for an estimate.

It's a bit bizarre n cool seein electric saws comin back into fashion.

Push button pull trigger start n stop.

Loads of low end torque.

Very controlled predictable rpm n cutting speed.

We cut down lots of Phoenix Canariensis date palms in the 70's with a 14 inch bar Montgomery Ward electric chainsaw, and powering through Palm trunks ain't easy on a saw.

Checkerboard the stumps, then pop out the little squares with either Pulaski or real sharp Maddox! Great way for young punks to get in shape!

This biz'll either kill yu, or get you fairly friggin fit.

Lotsa dignity left in good hard labor IMO.

Jomo

When the Dutch Elm disease hit hard, here, I had a nice little brochure explaining the how and why of Dutch Elm disease printed.
It also offered my professional help to people whose trees were dying.

We used to put one in the mailbox, whenever we saw a dieased or dead elm.

Worked wonderfully!

Even opening a mailbox, let alone putting anything in it, is a federal crime unless you work for the post office.

Buzzard's are a perfectly natural phenomenon!

I ain't ashamed!

I provide a useful service dang it!

Jomo

Knocking on a door in the 70s and early 80s was pretty acceptable practice back when. Sold some door to door back in the day.
Now days, I don't much appreciate people knocking. If I want a professional, I'll call one. Based on referral mostly.
I don't even like shit in my mail box. Putting stuff in my mail box is crap IMO. I recycle enough stuff I have to buy in packaging anymore. No friggen thank you. Rant over.

And, I am nailing the grumpy old guy....
get+off+my+lawn.jpg

Back