Is Door Knocking Professional?

Do You Knock?

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
What is the general consensus on this?

I don't care for it: it's happened to me a couple of times. Some guy in a pickup sending his teen son to ask me if I wanted any tree work done.

I won't ever do it.

However, something like storm work/me seeing a tree ON a house - I'm not above asking the homeowner if they would like to talk.

Thoughts?

I would say it depends on the context, along the same lines as you. Perhaps we need a third option in the survey?

If someone solicits at my house... I try my best to convey they've made an egregious error of judgement.

In a storm situation, I make myself exceptionally open and available for people to talk to. I won't knock on their door cold call style, but if they are outside, I will walk up and speak to them with the hopes of drumming up business.

So yeah, no.

Only guys that aren't busy do it. I think it's unprofessional and have never done it and I guess I'm a snob cause I'll assume these guys aren't licenced or are hacks if they do it. That said, if I was hungry and saw a real need, I'd likely knock and low pressure feel them out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same here, but I sure wouldn't wanna make it a habit.

I'd be trying to rethink my options...

Spent years doing it as a teen, any house with a shaggy palm, left fliers n business cards, made pretty dang good money doin it too.

But that was long ago n far away. Now customers find me.

Jomo

Norfolk county there is a bylaw forbidding tree work door knocking sales. If a HO is outside doing yard work I sometimes will ask if they want my card. Most folks are friendly enough. Brant county there is no bylaw, but I wouldn't door knock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have stopped when I saw a homeowner staring up into their tree. I've actually got a couple jobs like that, but I don't consider that door knocking.

One guy told me "No, thanks... I was just looking for my cat."

Haha

That is the beauty of a bucket truck. The public really associates that with a 'pro' outfit. They see it as the tool needed for the job as the most part IMO.

Best thing I did was get a a-board sign that had my name, logo, and number. And a simple 'call for a free estimate'. Putting that out in a visible spot on jobsites or placed in opportune spots brought me in a ton of work.

On job sites it seemed to prompt the neighbour that was to shy to come and talk but really wanted to. Also it seemed to stop as many interruptions from neighbours who aren't shy and expect you to shut down your job to look at their work asap.

I highly recommend the a-board.

It worked so well compared with full numbered signage on the trucks that I'm considering having one made for my chimney business. That I would just pop out on the street whenever I'm scrubbing soot.

Hmmmm, I used to have a load of boards I'd put outside jobs back in the UK, sometimes leave them for a few days as well. Maybe I'll revisit that....

Door knocking? no, I've done flyer drops on my bicycle, if the client is outside and catches my eye I'll engage them in conversation, maybe.

It's pikey stuff, low rent tree work, "I'll drive you to the bank so you can get the cash out" standard.

I love that pikeys are a real thing. . . lol

Never door knocked. Basically I've only tacked my card up on a few bulletin boards around town. . . Nothing much comes of it. Mostly work through the Club and word of mouth.

That is the beauty of a bucket truck. The public really associates that with a 'pro' outfit. They see it as the tool needed for the job as the most part IMO. .

No doubt, they'll ask if you have a bucket truck even though the tree is in a back yard you can barely walk to let alone drive a truck.

I know it's funny. I remember people being bitterly disappointed before that the 'bucket truck' wasn't being used. It used to irk me to no end to be told over the phone by a customer that a 'bucket truck will be needed'. I'll decide that thank you very much.

We have some of those " door knocker' cards" but I can't remember the last time they were used. Right now, no need for them. Also, these days, I agree with Carl. My guess Carl is packing a nice firearm when someone strange arrives at his door.

...Never Knock on the door , will often leave card on door if they have an obvious problem or even flagged material ... If they are already outside I might walk over. Main line I use after I introduce myself is "I feel like a Jehovah's Witness when I make a cold call" ... this usually gets a laugh except once in awhile when they actually are.

Best thing I did was get a a-board sign that had my name, logo, and number. Putting that out in a visible spot on jobsites or placed in opportune spots brought me in a ton of work.

On job sites it seemed to prompt the neighbour that was to shy to come and talk but really wanted to. Also it seemed to stop as many interruptions from neighbours who aren't shy and expect you to shut down your job to look at their work asap.

I highly recommend the a-board.

I remember you talking about that before. Never liked having signs on my truck in the city, too many nut cases but when I moved it was a bit different so I got a magnetic sign for the tailgate. So when I'm just in the truck people can see it, when I want.

And had one like this made up like your a frame, just stick it in the ground anywhere you like. Real estate people use them a lot, big enough to see phone number etc. Seems to be working so far.

Back