Dead limb removal from doug fir

Buddy

Treehouser
I have a doug fir just outside the front door of the house and the thing is constantly losing dead limbs. If it wasn't for the shade that it provides in the summer time I would probably just remove the whole thing. My only worry about removing the dead limbs is that it would look uneven when I was finished, yep it looks a little funny but oh well.

As some of you know I am completely new at this. I started out by getting my friction saver as high as possible but without too much trouble. With my big shot I hit my limb on the second try, probably only about 50 feet or so. My throw line was a little too far out on the limb so I ran my climb line up and using the bottom section of the big shot I threw a couple loops and moved it over. Not far enough though, it was now up against a little dead limb that I didn't see. Ok, start over, pull everything down and launch the throw bag over the limb again but closer to the tree this time. Now I got it over the limb but I need it closer to the tree again so I run my climb line up and throw another loop to get it up against the tree. Awesome, now it's where I need it, run my friction saver up and DAMN!!! Now I have a dead limb wrapped around my throw line just below my friction saver. I can't get it up and I can't get it down. It's only up there about 25 feet so I spur up and untangle the mess. I didn't want to spur it but I don't think I hurt it any.

Once back on the ground I continue pulling my throw line and raising the friction saver. Almost there, oh not again, now it's hung up in a little green limb. I fought with it for a few minutes and finally got it untangled with the limb but now my friction saver has a couple twists in it. The heck with it, it is close enough, over the limb and on to climbing.

I need to go out and finish the top half of the tree today. It was getting late in the afternoon when I started so that's why I didn't get it finished. No wind today so that will make it a little more pleasant. I find that almost every time I climb I learn some new little thing that makes it easier for next time. Usually it is something that I learn not to do next time...

It's always a process...sometimes simple, sometimes a maddening mess. Getting a proper line set can be a big deal and time user. But it sure is important to a safe ascent.

I try to view screw-ups as not screw-ups but lessons. You get a little better and learn to think ahead a little bit better each time. Thinking ahead as you work and not getting distracted is a big deal.

Sometimes folks that aren't doing the dangerous stuff like to stand around and ask a million questions. If I find they are keeping me from focusing on what I need to be doing I tell them I'll talk about it later, I need to focus on what I'm doing right now. Hang in there and stay safe.

Live and learn ... As Gerry said the Bigshot use is actually a combination of luck and skill. Many penalty climbs here to retrieve stuck weight. I do keep two around , many times grab the stuck one on the way up or down.

I always keep two to three throw line kits in the truck. Couple reasons, when one gets stuck, I can shoot another and set my line to go get it and work the tree. Another is that I can shoot pull lines in or climb lines while someone else sets up another tree for pulling over. I can also leave a line or lines in tree if I need to come back another time.
I had one line I left in a tree for about a month. I had climbed one next to it and we would have to pull test the top of another. I threw the line through the other tree from the tree I was in. Nasty thing, leaning and quite crispy. When I came back to the job, just pull up the pull rope and get to work. Shooting that particular tree would have sucked. No good angle, drooping limbs and over 100 feet high. I got a good pull test way up in the top by setting it from another tree.
Just some examples.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have 3 throw bags and 1 extra throw line but I had visions of 2 throw bags and 360' of throwline so tangled up I would never get it free.:tard:

I am typically carrying two to three throw lines, and weights (plus old throw lines to leave in place to pull ropes into place another day, rather than leaving a rope).

When there are multiple trees to work on a property, its good to set up in advance, keeping the crew from hitting bottlenecks.

Moving your weight upward slowly helps reduce spins over branches. I can see far away really well. If you're not sure what you're up against, some binoculars might help. The details are critical.

Friction savers are a PITA to set from the ground. A non-isolated, base-tied access line or SRT work system is so much easier. You can hitch/ tie your DdRT system on an access line, and pull into place.

IMG_20170401_152702194.jpg

NO BLIND CUTS!

The system on the left allows you to hang DdRT on a pulley, or if some friction is desired, take your pick of choices. Easy to install, work as you're used to.

System on the right, 1:1 advancing up the access line, working as you like along the way, hanging off your DdRT system. Move to DdRT, if so desired for limb walks, etc.

View attachment 77981

NO BLIND CUTS!

The system on the left allows you to hang DdRT on a pulley, or if some friction is desired, take your pick of choices. Easy to install, work as you're used to.

System on the right, 1:1 advancing up the access line, working as you like along the way, hanging off your DdRT system. Move to DdRT, if so desired for limb walks, etc.
This is such a great option if you want to start out ddrt! It eliminates the need to isolate a limb which is normally necessary with doubled rope technique.

One a side note I understand that the two systems are going to be renamed by standards as SRS and MRS for stationary and moving rope systems respectfully.

That's awesome, I'm going to have to give that a try.

Do I need to be more careful when selecting a branch/crotch with that system? Doesn't that put twice the load on the branch/crotch?

And what is a blind cut?

And what is a blind cut?[/QUOTE]
I think what Sean is saying is don't cut your basal tie..
This is a great way two climb pine tree.imho

Do I need to be more careful when selecting a branch/crotch with that system? Doesn't that put twice the load on the branch/crotch?

Yes it does. Good eye.

Realistically it's usually less than 2x due to friction, but that is certainly a possibility with bouncing. maybe more? ( The bouncing part is still a theory, I want to test this still ).

Yes, there is an increased load. If it holds two people's static load test, or one person's dynamic load test, who cares? It will hold. Try to shear a Doug fir limb at the branch collar, with a rope, at ground level. How big can you shear?

When you're throwing a loop to adjust, is it a circle rolling above the straight part of the rope? You can throw a spiral, for lateral movement.

You're right, I probably couldn't break a very big limb.

I was rolling a loop over the line but it was walking the rope up the limb. I will play around with the spiral. Like I said, I am new at this. Appreciate the helpful conversation so far.:)

You're right, I probably couldn't break a very big limb.

I was rolling a loop over the line but it was walking the rope up the limb. I will play around with the spiral. Like I said, I am new at this. Appreciate the helpful conversation so far.:)
Another good trick is the stick or bottle trick.

Clove hitch a 2-3" x 8" stick or a 20 oz plastic bottle. Run it up to the branch and run it back and forth while putting an angle towards your desired direction. The little hop the stick gives you and make it pop right over bulges and stubs that are otherwise difficult to pass.

It is amazing how such a simple little thing can make life so much easier. Whenever I learn something like this it makes me wonder why I never thought about it. It's like a puzzle, the pieces are all there you just need to figure out how to put them together. Thanks Evan

View attachment 77981

NO BLIND CUTS!

I played around with the system you described on the left yesterday with a pulley. Worked great!

Friction at the pulley-point can help and hurt, depending on the system you use. More pressure on your hitch, with less friction up top. If you're rope walking, pulley friction is good. If you're body thrusting, some friction can help hold you while adjusting your friction hitch.

Back