Help/ info 1990 F600 brake motor Lucus Girling system

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Seems Ford used this problematic system for a couple years, including on my truck. It seems to have this Lucas Girling system in it. I'm starting to research it, now.

My Elec. Brake Motor light came on. I'm trying to understand what it means and what to do. I just drove it for the second trip with an electric brake trailer, as it happens. Likely coincidental, not causal.

So far, I've had new rear shoes, hydraulic cylinders, new front calipers, rotors, brake hoses. The front was in the last 2 years. The rears maybe 5 years ago.
Seems like a master cylinder, too.

Anyone familiar?

I'm pretty sure there is an electric override for the braking system. That way if your engine quits you still have brakes. There should be a relay you can unplug to stop the buzzer but that doesn't fix the issue. Could it be the hydra-booster?

I don't think you want to disable the buzzer, the electric motor will quickly burn out. Basically it works to have power assist with key on, engine off. Then when you crank the truck the belt driven pump takes over.
The lucas girling brakes are hugely overcomplicated and are just a general pain in the ass

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems my employee, who is mechanically inclined (like swaps transmissions) didn't have the spark plug wire boot solidly clipped to the spark plug. Poor spark, but still spark. Seems to have stopped it for now.

I need to learn more about the braking system/ get a newer chip truck, therefore the thread about swapping chip boxes to another truck.

As a matter of fact I have a Ford 600 sitting in my drive way up on oak blocks and has for two years .They replaced everything on the rear brakes but haven't got it going yet for some reason .More than likely as is par for the course I'll have to lend a hand if it's ever going to move again ,typical I might add --humbug .
Tom bought the thing relatively cheap .It has contractors dump bed with drop down sides and is ideal for loading big rounds from take downs .He has the documentation on the brake system he found some place .Parts for Lucas brakes are expensive plus a pain in the butt to work on .

Back