Solo Tree Work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been thinking about this thread a bit (sounds ominious!)

Reg, do you remember when, before you started your own gig, that you were of the opinion that it was a lot of hassle and you didn't want that, happy as a contract climber etc.
Then when you did start up all the woes that you heard about, pricing,machinery, pita clients were not as bad as you had been warned by the myriad of bosses you'd worked for,
The old "I wish I was still a climber with no worries" ruse was just that, a ruse to deflect from the fact that they were earning ten times what you were.

Employing people is a bit like that, yes there are problems but it is a step forward in terms of having a good business, I'm on my second guy now and even though the first employee became problematic at the end (I even started a thread about it) it was overall a good thing to do.

Get someone in full time, if you've got the work in the book its the only logical (and profitable) thing to do.

Mick, Contracting used to fit my lifestyle more often than not. I as often pursuing other interests and appreciated the flexibility and lack of commitment. I never doubted there wasn't better money to be made running a tree service though. Same as Im not against the idea having employees. It's just that right now I quite enjoy things the way they are. I'm not responsible for anyone, I owe frig all, very low overheads, I get to keep most if the money that I make, and I still get some free time. I know business owners around here who have eployees, lots of gear etc....but money flows through and out the other side of them like a river. They don't actually get to keep much of it. Victoria is a very competitive/cut throat area in regards to treework. Competition is stiff. So, after just 2 years I'm quite happy with where I'm upto. While I might not have lots of equipment and employees as do the competition....I make up for it in skills and work ethic for now. I just need to have me timing right mate. The subs that I use are great lads too. They skilled, and I pay them well.

I can understand that.

Everyone can only see things from their own perspective.

I have a recurring theme in my life that I've done everything 10 years too late.

Learnt this job, got married, stopped getting off my head every night, moved out here, all 10 years too late (well not TOO late but you get the picture) never any time to waste when you're already 10 years late.

So maybe my post was directed at myself more than you!

i like working alone, but i end up working slow slow slow. something about someone else being on the clock that makes me move. Definitely better pay having help.

im the same way with like running or exercise... I try to do it by myself and your likely to find me under a tree somewhere napping. give me some competition and some companionship I will go all day.

Well today's job was indeed cake, only took six hours.

The dead oak was only two years dead, whereas the euc had been dead about five years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 99
The problem with you guys is that you haven't instilled the proper subservience into your workers.

Attachments

• rbkppyepcrikg3sv3ivt.jpg
    rbkppyepcrikg3sv3ivt.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 94
Hah!

That's funny Jay.

As a sub, it was the exact opposite for me. The owners'd show me the job then piss off!

I wouldn't put up with desk jockey's micro-managing my jobs at all.

Jomo

If I worried about all the things that might go wrong, and let those thoughts dictate how I go through life, I'd probably never leave the house. So, I have faith in what works for me, and rarely get distracted with the what if's.

Sage wisdom. I'd add that worrying about the what if's can be a self fulfilling prophecy - a type of target fixation. Focus on where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

A really cool thread and having been everything from solo to employees, and finishing as a contractor, I can say contract climber was my happiest (mentally and financially) contract climber that by default had to manage the entire crew - least happy place.

I work alone, yeah
With nobody else
I work alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I work alone
I prefer to be by myself

I feel the same way as you do about solo work. By god, I get pee stains all the time...especially when I am all amped up and wanting to bang out a big job...I am working on trying to slow down a little, because this one man operation will run a guy into the ground real quick if you let it.

Ha, good riff on the George T song.

Long time no post, Cody, where ya been??

Busy...solo tree guy stuff keeps me real busy. I check in here now and again, but am trying to limit my screen time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Things are really busy now. I have weeks if work ahead, and it keeps coming. I'm getting referrals from people I don't even know. For example, yesterday I went to a site under new ownership where I'd supposedly taken down 5 trees previous, which is not true, and I told them that. But the new owner had my card, given to him by the previous....its a bit odd. I could definitely do with some full time help. Not just on site, but because of the time needed for estimates and paperwork etc. It's tempting, but I'm going to resist and ride it out. I'm not sure for how long though.

Don't fight it.

I pay my accountant to do all the payroll, contact of employment stuff, sure it costs, but it's all tax deductible.

Back