Solo Tree Work

I don't want to be chasing work out of responsibility to emoloyees and overheads through quiet season either. That's why I use sub contractors when I need them. It's a lifestyle thing as much as a work style. I will get away with it as long as I can.

I use a similar philosophy in terms of contractors as help, they are generally more motivated than a regular employee as well. I personally don't like working alone as for me its less profitable and everything seems to take oh so long.

.....I don't dont like the way the HASS was marketed. I won't go into details, but I won't buy one for that reason. I would would consider Richard Munfords SAKA,....

Aside from the "Sherrill tree sucks" mantra, I don't understand this, Reg. Knee ascenders have been around for a long time and, in my mind, made popular by the likes of Gerry Beranek. As well as they worked, I could never get used to the fiddling and adjusting so wound up just bulling through some other way.

When Michael Frankhauser introduced the HAAS with its bungee stored in a stiff lower tether I recognized it as a worthwhile improvement. So I got one and loved it. Much less fiddly and easy on and off. For me, way better than the ascender foot loop combo.

Within about a month, Richard had produced a video on how to make one for yourself. Shortly after that he pulled that video and started selling his SAKA. There is no doubt it was inspired by the HAAS. It had some differences, sure, but not enough.

As you know, bringing something to market is tough and expensive. I thought Michael got a raw deal when he tried to defend his idea and the potential income it represented.

The bit you mentioned about how knee ascenders keep the line that your multiscender runs through taught, improving the advance, is HUGE. I would think especially for folks running the hitch hiker, but probably just as much for everything. . . Weather you agree with the mechanics or the politics of knee ascenders, I've come to realize this is an important benefit. There's almost no slack in the step.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm excited to. I've learned a lot from you Reg, and really appreciate your thoughtful approach to things. Also the effort to share and inform others. You're not just 'hey looks what I can do', there's a remarkable analysis and instruction to your videos. I know we all appreciate it. I know I do.

I'd say I do 85% of my work totally alone.

I rec clime alone a lot too. . .

I'd say I do 85% of my work totally alone.

Wow, nice.

I worked alone a fair amount when I was starting my biz, but not much for a long time now. It would be something to get re-used to. Being all old n chit, I frequently am double checking most everything with the help of other sets of eyes on the crew, not sure I would totally trust just me:/:;)

Totally get what you are saying Reg.
I made my own HAAS and bought a SAKA instead. Hate when we have a crew. Hate slammed doors. Hate cigarette smoke in my work areas. Hate people pissing on my tires. Hate how others think a truck is loaded. Hate a lot of things about having other people in the mix. Love having a mini. After all those big jobs, I down sized to 3-4 guys. Now I have one on notice so it might be down to three again.
Most days, I just wish I could do it all alone and I wish I was 20 years younger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aside from the "Sherrill tree sucks" mantra, I don't understand this, Reg. Knee ascenders have been around for a long time and, in my mind, made popular by the likes of Gerry Beranek. As well as they worked, I could never get used to the fiddling and adjusting so wound up just bulling through some other way.

When Michael Frankhauser introduced the HAAS with its bungee stored in a stiff lower tether I recognized it as a worthwhile improvement. So I got one and loved it. Much less fiddly and easy on and off. For me, way better than the ascender foot loop combo.

Within about a month, Richard had produced a video on how to make one for yourself. Shortly after that he pulled that video and started selling his SAKA. There is no doubt it was inspired by the HAAS. It had some differences, sure, but not enough.

As you know, bringing something to market is tough and expensive. I thought Michael got a raw deal when he tried to defend his idea and the potential income it represented.

Nothing to do with Sherril, Dave. And like I said already, not something I want to get into here....its just that I was asked the question about choice. Thanks

Once, in a pissed off rage, I slammed a truck door so hard it shattered the window.

That bit of foolishness cost me $160!

Ha Boss!...some people got "door rage"..lol

I just told my wife tonight, dont slam the landcruiser door, its a 20 year old 4x4....she a least said she will try..ha

Its a pet peeve of mine ;)

I couldn't believe that the window shattered.

But, I am strong, like bull!

and sometimes just as stoopid...

Door-slammer-haters anonymous, unite!!

"See you tomorrow" followed by a collision of metal. Yeah great, thanks for that.

Doors don't slam so hard if the cab is sealed (other windows etc shut), but that's hardly the point

I've been thinking about this thread a bit (sounds ominious!)

Reg, do you remember when, before you started your own gig, that you were of the opinion that it was a lot of hassle and you didn't want that, happy as a contract climber etc.
Then when you did start up all the woes that you heard about, pricing,machinery, pita clients were not as bad as you had been warned by the myriad of bosses you'd worked for,
The old "I wish I was still a climber with no worries" ruse was just that, a ruse to deflect from the fact that they were earning ten times what you were.

Employing people is a bit like that, yes there are problems but it is a step forward in terms of having a good business, I'm on my second guy now and even though the first employee became problematic at the end (I even started a thread about it) it was overall a good thing to do.

Get someone in full time, if you've got the work in the book its the only logical (and profitable) thing to do.

Great work and video Reg...as usual.

I have no problem working solo and have done so for many years. Two years ago, I took on a fulltime worker, due to the number of jobs that I had been getting that required a ground worker. Glad that I did, because now I can mentor a young climber the way that I would have liked to have had someone do for me.

That might be a test for a potential marriage partner, how many times you have to tell them to not slam your door. I only had to mention it to my wife twice, but we were long married by then. Who wants extra rattles in a truck, but still I think insufficient grounds for divorce if she hadn't kindly abided.

Mick, how long have you been at it? Only on your second employee. How long did the wooden head work for you?

22 years, I should say employee in the strictest sense, before that all my "helpers" has been "self employed" (not strictly legal in the UK but most do it) or on the black, which is naughty over here.

Wooden head was with me about 3 years in one form or another, he still does the odd day here and there, tells me where I'm going wrong, which is nice!

Having full time employees is what changed my tree business into something I no longer wanted. I will never employ someone full time again.

So employing is not for everyone.

having employees is like having adult children for eight hours a day. You (your business)are responsible for every move they make. Grew old for me.

Back