Solo Tree Work

omg, the whole question of getting employees to do tree work remains, but God, sir, farm out that ridiculous paper work bull shite. That stuff'll kill ya.

Things are really busy now. I have weeks if work ahead, and it keeps coming. I'm getting referrals from people I don't even know. For example, yesterday I went to a site under new ownership where I'd supposedly taken down 5 trees previous, which is not true, and I told them that. But the new owner had my card, given to him by the previous....its a bit odd. I could definitely do with some full time help. Not just on site, but because of the time needed for estimates and paperwork etc. It's tempting, but I'm going to resist and ride it out. I'm not sure for how long though.

Sounds like you need at least a hydraulic ground worker. Do you use Jobber?

Farm out things like accounting/ gov't BS, washing your truck/ chipper, laundry, house cleaning. Keep working at your pay grade.

Your body won't last forever. The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. Iron is easy to replace, compared to a wrist/ elbow/ shoulder. Any grapple truck services? A local firewood guy will bring his mini and trucks to pick up good firewood logs/ chunks for free. Win-win. I didn't want to have to be responsible for him, so I told the HO's I'd get it down, and call Wood Bandits for free haul-off. Easy. I didn't have to risk going back for bark pieces or twigs after wood pick-up. Nearby, I'll have him haul, and I can swing in for any last checks/ clean-up for a full disposal job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is jobber ?
As for bright candles, well I'm way past the half way point of treework, so I'm not doing too bad.

A blessing.

getjobber.com

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?18295-Official-Jobber-Thread/page9

30 day free trial.

refer someone, after something like 4 months, each of you get $75 account credit.

You get a one hour phone consult from Jobber staff upon signup (they want you to succeed) as well as "chat" support and real people on the phone (Canadians, no less).

The Gist.

Want to create a NEW CLIENT, Click.
Want to create a NEW QUOTE within a client's profile, CLICK.
Want to email invoice, Click.
Want to Convert a Quote to a NEW JOB, click.
Want to Schedule a Job, Click.
Want to track payroll and hours on job, Click.
Want to Mark Job Complete, Click.
Want to Create Invoice, Click.
Want to Collect Payment, Click.

they process credit cards for a fee.

Sync to QuickBooks Online for a fee.

Allows bigger companies options you don't really need at the moment, nor I for that matter.

Reminds you to follow up on quotes sent.

Tracks Outstanding Invoices.

Etc,

Etc,

Etc.

At the Pay for One Year upfront rate, its $39 monthly, or $59 monthly, no contract.
Want to Create

A hydraulic groundie that never gets tired, strong as an ox, fits in a 3/4/ 1-ton pick-up bed or trailer that the mini moves around, along with the chipper, on big jobsites, expands services offered, runs me $500 a month with insurance and a couple thousand down. I couldn't do medium/ big solo tree work without it. My shoulders, elbows and wrists wouldn't have it, as much as my brain likes it.

Zero Workers Comp.
Zero Endangering You/ Him with Rookie Moves.
Zero misunderstanding about what you told it to do.
Never Tired.
Always make for much better storm work/ paydays, and always ready for a storm, or emergency call.
Easy to fix when broken.
Only has to save me and average of about $700 a month in payroll expenses to make the payment, for ownership with resale value.
Doesn't really take up a lot of space in storage, 3'x8'.

Mini skid is invaluable for us solo guys. I bought mine used and have had to learn some mechanics, and have farmed out some more difficult stuff, but I would not be able to do what I do without it. The only downside I still have, is my chipper isn't beastly enough to feed with the dingo, unless the wood is straight with small scaffold limbs, but getting the brush to the chipper, loading logs, raking yards, not to mention all the things I use it for around the house...I love that machine. As far as paperwork...The only thing I do is itemize my receipts for the accountant, and sometimes write out estimates, but usually just take pics, and save my notes in my evernote account. The thing that takes the most out of me, being a brain damaged solo guy, is bidding on jobs, and planning the jobs when I get them. Hiring an employee would not help me with those things, and unless I hired someone full time, to show them every little quirk of operating my equipment, and my techniques, would be more stressful for me, which is why I remain solo. The most important thing I am learning, and getting better at, is to not take on too much. Try to weed out the bad jobs, and take the ones you want. It's tough, but I am getting better. Another thing I have started doing that helps a ton, is letting my phone calls go to voicemail, and calling folks back when I have the time, preferably at my desk so I can take notes, but if I am in the middle of a big job, I call them back on my drive home(I use a bluetooth headset), to let them know I got their call, but can not take notes, so I will call them back when I am done with my big project, and can sit at my desk to take notes. Sometimes I end up with 10-15 folks that I have to call back, but I just can't focus on taking new jobs when I am working. I refer a lot of work to other outfits if the client is not patient. A couple years ago, I was letting my business run me into the ground, but I just do what I can now, and don't worry about all the work I am missing out on, and I find I am enjoying my work a lot more now.

Soloing these three sisters this weekend. Figure I'll tie in nice and high on the central White and strip everything out, dump the top out of the fir and both pines in order from left to right and then frizbee the stems down to something I can drop into the back yard. . .

19198470_1401903686512235_1688370593_n.jpg

I took down a 30", 70' tall oak today by myself. I was just hired to put it on the ground by another tree guy, then he got called away this morning on a storm job. We've been pushing this job back all week so I just said I would do it by myself. He was leaving the wood and hauling the brush, so I threw all the brush outside the fence and threw all the wood inside the fence. Had it done in about 2.5 hours.

Sorry, no pics. Going to have to start bringing the camera with me to work. After so many years it all becomes rather mundane but now that I'm back with other people who think like I do about trees and tree work I'll have to make a more concerted effort to share.

Nice post for sure, Cody

Post em up Brian.

Almost did a small job myself today with just taking the dump trailer... But I took my ground man and we made an early day of it. Birch removal over a garden and hazard dead. Added a crown raise. Had another dead wood, but scheduled for Monday since I deemed it a removal. Root crown all rotten leaning over a roof.

He was a good poster. I see he checked in a while back. Was hoping he'd say hi next time

By god I’ve just been busy, getting worked like a rented mule. Not sure if I’m working harder being a climber or a family man. A wife, four adult kids, 1 granddaughter that lives close and spends a lot of time with us, can sure wear a guy out. Guess that’s what life’s all about though. This working in the winter in montana is for the birds. I have requested to be a grizzly bear in my next life so I can hibernate. Got a little time this morning, sitting in a doctors office waiting for my wife to to have a routine procedure, and having to wear a mask. I really hate wearing them, as I feel like I’m not able to breathe very well, and as much as I complain about working outdoors in the extreme weather we get here sometimes, I can sure appreciate not having to work somewhere that requires them all day, I don’t think I could handle it. Anyhow, sorry it’s been a while. I hope all of youins are splendid

Gotta love it!

Same more or less as @SeanKroll afaik.

Hit us with some pics, you must have a bunch or em, its been awhile

A few from the last several weeks

Attachments

• B5B169CB-CF40-4337-8F4A-23384F1D8EDF.jpeg
    B5B169CB-CF40-4337-8F4A-23384F1D8EDF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 7F54E5DC-2751-4965-B661-0BC932489117.jpeg
    7F54E5DC-2751-4965-B661-0BC932489117.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 39685192-93F4-4704-A134-0160F30DB828.jpeg
    39685192-93F4-4704-A134-0160F30DB828.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • AD664E76-F3DF-4856-972E-D8736C25D6AF.jpeg
    AD664E76-F3DF-4856-972E-D8736C25D6AF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 9EEA2F13-1EC8-4436-9ABE-E7635922EDD2.jpeg
    9EEA2F13-1EC8-4436-9ABE-E7635922EDD2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • D6225DBC-8ED2-4317-A23D-61D6CF3AC915.jpeg
    D6225DBC-8ED2-4317-A23D-61D6CF3AC915.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • A6649229-878E-49DB-8D24-D129907E552F.jpeg
    A6649229-878E-49DB-8D24-D129907E552F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • EEEBE133-A16B-4401-B7A2-F3E02FAD8A3B.jpeg
    EEEBE133-A16B-4401-B7A2-F3E02FAD8A3B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • DDD966D0-CC49-4B9A-B4A5-6895C0A98CC4.jpeg
    DDD966D0-CC49-4B9A-B4A5-6895C0A98CC4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 1893A51F-16C4-4BF2-835D-29E1F9F2F326.jpeg
    1893A51F-16C4-4BF2-835D-29E1F9F2F326.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Great pics!

Yeah maybe that grizzer bear hibernation thing isn't such a bad idea- looks cold!

Back