Solo Tree Work

RegC

TreeHouser
Some thoughts and footage of working alone. Its 25 mins, or thereabouts. Think there's a few members here in the same boat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZP9lVuNb_7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are no two ways round it Reg, you're a bloody outlaw!

A well equipped outlaw granted, but an outlaw nonetheless.

Perhaps it's time for adult diapers mate?

Jomo

When I do solo treework I always try to climb in a system which alows me to get to the ground with one hand. I dont use two laneyards but as a second tie in my climbing line with an srt tool on it.

On a cold day it sometimes goes back in too early, I use the sweater a lot as well.

I couldn't do 28 minutes, sorry.

But bearing in mind the way the vid was going, i'll tell you why I never work solo.

Two reasons 1: I'm very lazy
2: I'm very greedy.

You make more money if there's someone there to help get the work done, plus it's tax deductible.

I do a lot of solo work these days, and find it quite challenging doing technical removals without a ropeman.

It requires lots of forethought, and an aptitude for cut n chuck expertise.

There are limits of course. Cell phones are kinda comforting too. Winches as well.

I know there are worse ways to die!

Jomo

Working solo as the norm is a tad sketchy. It's kinda like only commuting on a motorcycle... you know something not good is going to eventually happen.

Once in a while, cool beans.

Excellent as always Reg, and thanks for the 540 wrap which I'm guessing you put in there because of my questions on leaners. Thank you for the demo, I've learned a ton from your videos over the years. :thumbup:

And i know enough that i should never work alone, although i sometimes have to. Only simple stuff.

Let's put it this way, i have to be starving and no one is available for a couple weeks. Usually I'll still insist on the homeowner to be able to help in that situation. It's completely an absolute last resort for me. But I'm not Reg skill wise either

I enjoy working alone. No distractions.

A mini and grapple is important, in my market.

Also, a number of put-on-ground-only customers also helps.

I'd started a thread about it previously, for tips and such. Things like rubber tire chock setting on a hill, solo, etc.

I enjoy working with skilled, safe, competent people. Rookies that want to do it their way are mentally-wearing.

I'll solo, but I make damned sute that my partner knows the adress and what time I'm supposed to be finished.
Pretty much the same safety system we use in the woods.

Reg, in the beginning of that video, the wideangle lens made the tree look like it was much closer to the house.
I thought you were being extremely cavalier about tossing those branches.
Then as you worked lower, things came into perspective.
It was just such a weird experience, sitting and saying: " Don't do that you fool, it'll hit the roof" to the person on the screen.

Another great vid Reg. I've done some solo work and obviously you have to pick your jobs to make it work, but the older I get, the more I like to have somebody on the ground. It sure helps on cleanup too.

Good video Reg. I try not to work alone, but honestly my help can only dial a phone if something bad was to happen to me. I agree with Stig. That camera lens made everything look a lot closer at first.
Also you need to get yourself a HAAS or a SAKA. Makes ascent almost effortless.

I just read a book by George Orwell, called "Down and Out in Paris and London". It's about the life of tramps in those two cities. He goes on to explain the use of those words you mention that some may find offensive. Pretty much it's only British slang that evolved. I guess your customers aren't up on that, too bad. Interestingly, those particular words that some folks may find to be the most troublesome for them to hear, are the ones that may have stuck around still in current usage the longest. The C and F words in particular....

Personally, I find working alone quite enjoyable when it's within my comfort range or close enough to it. Tight lining, it does call for a bit more to think about during the set up and progression. Is it still a whoop when nobody else is around to hear it when a tough one goes as hoped for?

Enjoyed your vid Reg was hoping you would put one out soon!

I try not to solo ponderosa pine removals.... but I do a lot of mistletoe slaying by myself just dont need a groundie for that.

I always make sure and have my cell phone with me and check for cell service is really important to me

One of the great things about solo work is you always have someone intelligent to talk to!

My favorite aspect of working solo's being able to take my own sweet time to get the job done.

No crew watching my every move, no expensive crane, no pressure to perform and justify my reputation as a demolition expert whatsoever.

Kinda like takin a nice leisurely stroll through the woods, enjoying the view, ten minute breaks whenever I choose.

It's nice to get away from the hustle n bustle of a big commercial crew and enjoy my semi-retirement after forty years of goin at it full bore, believe me. Much safer in many ways, despite being alone on the job.

My two worst accidents aloft, a shattered collar bone from a falling crane pin directly over me, and cutting myself in the left forearm with a 200T, were not helped by any personnel on the ground. I rescued myself, and drove myself to the ER on both occasions.

Of course I'm not recommending anyone work solo in this biz, and speak only for myself, one very lucky guy, that this biz has been very very kind to, for a very long time.

Jomo

I find it suprising that it is considered "a thing" like it's some sort of choice, or skill to be aspired to.

I'd always pay a hundred quid or so just to have someone to fill a saw up or untie a knot on the ground as a minimum.

There's always that much spare in a job surely?

Oh but it is a choice Mick, and a skill acquired after many years.

You'd hardly be the first veteran arborist to call me crazy, by any means.

Got a job this Saturday that you'd no doubt consider me insane for doing alone. But it doesn't worry me in the least, despite it being a five year dead euc all over the client's utility drops to his home. If I'm still around Sunday, I'll post up some pics in this thread. Piece of cake in my demented mind.

Jomo

Back