Do you measure tree height?

I used to keep a ground wheel on the truck, then measure the height of big trees after they were on the ground so I got good at judging their height by eye. That's a good skill to acquire when you are developing falling skills.. Walk off the DZ in feet(# paces x length of pace), then quick look at the tree to judge height in feet and that's often enough to inform the job

Old trick: Hold a mirror at arms length at a 45 degree angle and walk out from the tree .When you see the top that's the heighth or at least close .

Trig,the study of a triangle was also my thing too .Believe it or not I never really knew it until I was in the navy .

When it's downright persnickety to know the height, I'll throw a line over the tree and mark the length, then pull it back out and stretch the line. Works every time, so long as you allow for deflection in the line while over the tree.

I use the trig when building stuff.

Rarely. It has to be pretty tight looking for me to measure it. When in doubt, climb it and top it out. Make it fit
I do have a measure height program on my cell in case.

^This but I use the stick trick if need be. 99.9% of the time it's make it fit piece by piece.

Back