Storm Rigging

chris_girard

Treehouser
We are still busy here in NH taking care of storm cleanup from the blizzard that we had 2 weeks ago. Tons of rigging work.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 86
Hey Chris, great work and photos!:thumbup:

Was that job brutally cold? Looks like it.

Serious job! And its stillllll snowing, bleaugh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Chris, great work and photos!:thumbup:

Was that job brutally cold? Looks like it.

Oh yeah, cold and windy. Had to wait a day to do the planned lift because winds were blowing over 30 mph. Winds were light the day we did the lift, but another snowstorm rolled in.

You New Englander's are a tough stock! I have only briefly experienced to cold of the north east and it is no joke. Great work there Chris and thank you for sharing the great photos.

GRCS for MA?

We actually needed 3 devices to lift the tree off the house. We used the Hobbs H2 for the first DWT, which was mounted to a tree on the left side. Then we had the GRCS mounted on a tree to the right to control side drift and provide additional lift. The 3rd was the Portable Winch setup with a DWT directly behind the tree that was on/in the house to give us even more lift. All 3 support trees needed to be guyed back, due to the high rigging points that were needed to give me good fairleads to the contact point on the ridge of the roof. Between the rigging and my climb lines, we had nearly 1,400' of rope in the trees.

I had 3 ground workers, who were each managing one of the devices. When we started the lift, the tree would not budge. The tree was calculated from the Green Log Weight Chart to weigh around 7,500 lbs and we had approx. 10,000lbs of lift on the tree and nothing was happening. I was like "What the f*ck, why isn't this pig lifting?" All of a sudden there was a loud pop, and a section of the roof, along with the tree slowly lifted up about 2'. Evidently there were some branch stubs up high that I could not see that were caught in the attic on the roof rafters.

One of my ground workers said what do we do? I said keep cranking on the Hobbs, the tree will lift along with the roof until its high enough to slide off the tree and land back in place...or so I hoped. Well, long story short, it did just that and we were able to ease off the GRCS and Portable Winch and side-drift it clear of the roof.

Thanks guys.

I know that some will ask, why not use a crane? There was no way a crane could have fit in this small summer place, high in the hills and no way a bucket truck would have worked.

This whole area got hit with winds that were clocked at over 100 mph. We have much more storm work like this coming up. I will try to post the jobs as we do them.

Outstanding rigging work Chris!

Helluva job.

Hard to beat a Hobbs for lifting serious weight.

Jomo

Fantastic pictures, good shots to see how you had it all put together.
Snow on your helmets...well!!

Thanks for taking those pictures Chris. That was great. Looks like you had some good height on the surrounding trees to work with.

Poor house. . .

Back