Want to build a treehouse but ....

kronic24601

Treehouser
As you can see this tree has some significant damage from termites. Do I trim off that big branch, or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on calling an arborist, but in Los Angeles most of them are just tree-trimmers pretending to be arborists ... it's hard to sift through the mud.

IMG_3944.jpg IMG_4008.jpg IMG_1399.jpg IMG_8688.jpg

Another vote to call Nick from TreecareLA, if you are in his service area. He is most definitely a arborist.

And welcome to The Treehouse. Unfortunately from your photos the tree looks in bad shape. Lots of topping/hacking abuse that has lead to serious rot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sadly Nick is out of my service range. I found another arborist on the treesaregood.com database. I will be sad to lose it, but it is what it is.

Yeah, that tree doesn't look too good, certainly not if you want to build a treehouse!

Yeah, that does not look like the most sound specimen!

On the topic of tree houses, I recently saw a television show about building fancy tree houses. The first I saw they did a big one in a White Pine and drilled a bunch of large holes all over the tree, they were about to start in on one in a Silver Maple with some large, old pruning cuts, the whole thing seemed a bit absurd. Any of you folks seen this show?

Treehouse Masters I think. They probably use stainless but do the holes hurt the tree? Can't do it any good.

You know, as someone who calls himself an Arborist I should be able to say yay or nay. I'm not sure about the White Pine but the Silver Maple seemed a terrible idea as those trees are horrible at compartmentalizing. I wonder how those builders interface with code enforcement, must be a bit of a challenge.

Fruitless mulberry?...if yes, you need to get it nubbed when leaves are off and you will most likely save this guy unless lots of rot in main trunk....

How full is the canopy when in full leaf?

You might be able to have the size reduced (reduction pruning, not the 'topping' that was done to it), to reduce risk.

The swing is on a suspect branch, and might be in a choking/ abrading situation. A chafe sleeve on the rope (tubular webbing) would be a help. You have soil compaction from the swing activity, and no mulch. Grass competition.

A free-standing platform or 'treehouse' might be better.

May be salvageable and treehouse could be constructed to act like cables and rods. Could be a cool project if done properly and the tree isnt too decayed.

Back