Treesqueeze as a flipline

I've always used a rope guide as my 2nd point of attachment. The original version was a little stiffer then the new one, and I could flip it with my steel core. This allowed me to maintain 2 points while limbing and climbing up a conference type of tree of which we have many here.

When I started using the hitchhiker I switched to just choking the trunk, but then your spliced eye gets pitchy in a nasty tree.

Lately I've been exploring the switch back to the hitch climber and VT + rope wrench for srt.

I've also gone back to using the rope guide. The new one doesn't flip well with the lanyard, so I climb 2 feet, and then advance the rope guide seperately. You get used to it.

That tree was pathetic, tailor made. If you're trying to sell something, at least do something impressive.

In the utility Industry we are required to use the BUCK SQUEEZE while climbing poles. It requires a pole strap and a lanyard. When we come to an obstacle the lanyard goes over and clipped in before first is unhooked. Definitely​ not a fast process. The days of free climbing are long gone.

As someone who broke my back in those golden days of free climbing, I can only applaud the fact that they are gone.

Roger that...I only broke a wrist and spiked my thigh at the knee. (two different falls)

Looking back it makes NO sense that we didn't at least use two lanyards to bypass limbs on the way up. We would unclip, hold a death grip with one hand and pass the lanyard above the limb. We would free climb, hands and spikes only, to that first limb.

Stupid stuff.

Back