Treesqueeze as a flipline

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
I am really liking the looks of this. I have been trying to come with a design like this for the past several years. This tool will save time if you use an adjustable friction saver, conserve energy with the option to sit back, save you from taking a ride on a gaff out, and be able to get down immediately for lunch! IMO
https://youtu.be/voqWoVKtiNc

Hmmmmm... I'd definitely have to try it for a while before forming a good opinion.

I think I like it!!! :thumbup:

It looks pretty nice, if I was climbing doubled rope I'd try it.

Lol Butch i figured you would have been completely against it. It's basically the rope version of the buck squeeze thing for linemen, and i think it would rule on palm trees or something like that. But doesn't a 540 wrap do the same thing?

Interesting, seems alright for certain size stems. Normally I think I'd ignore it but I've got one guy that has a mental block about kicking out, this might help

Yeah, I was wondering the difference. Looks like a doubled over cord, maybe it's more stiff then normal savers.

True, those are nice.

I guess the upside is that you can ascend with that system it's a choking setup in case you gaff out.

Do you ascend with your fs as shown in the vid, Burnham?

I have on occasion, and it works just like the vid shows for this "new" product. More usually I'd switch over to the choked R&R friction saver with DRT once I was up top, using a cable cored flipline for the ascent. Flips better on larger diameters than the FS.

Understood. That makes the most sense. I think someone would be hard pressed to gaff out and then hit the ground due to using a non choking system.

I suppose it can be done, and has...but proper technique with the flipline cuts the chances down pretty low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Understood. That makes the most sense. I think someone would be hard pressed to gaff out and then hit the ground due to using a non choking system.

Maybe not hit the ground but take a pretty shitty ride ��

We had something similar the last few years I did line work Butch, what Tree09 mentioned, the "Buck Squeeze". I never liked it but it's use was mandated.

Our phone company makes the new guys use the Bucksqueeze. I'm grandfathered out of having to use it. It's nice because you can gaff out and not burn the pole all the way to the ground (fall all the way to the bottom) because it chokes the pole and stops you. It's a PITA because every little thing on the pole (sign, bird house, step, guy line, bracket, etc.) needs to be bypassed with a lanyard then the BS Has to be removed and replaced above or below the obstruction before you can reattach. I've burnt two poles in 21 plus years. Both had had so much traffic up them over the years that I shouldn't have climbed them in the first place. My fault. I was over confident and paid for it. Luckily both were in the winter so I had heavy clothing and didn't get too many splinters, but let me tell you, those old creosote poles suck to dig splinters from. Worst I ever saw was a guy cut out about fifteen feet up an old creosote and had a 6" long splinter go through his left pectoral muscle. That dude was in some serious pain.

Not stiffer than the very heavy webbing one I have, I can't imagine...also made by Buckingham, as I recall. Mine is 72 inches.

http://www.wesspur.com/items/cli201.html

Can you make the above friction saver adjustable?

Oh, sure...thought that was evident from my first post...sorry. Buckingham makes a Tenex prusik loop that incorporates a small diameter ring for these R&R friction savers. It also has a small Tenex loop for slack tending as part of it, too. I cut that off, never used it and it was in the way at times. The total package works a treat.

Of course, it wouldn't be hard to splice or even tie one up yourself. Years before I bought the Buckingham setup, I did the same with 1/2 inch three strand, some 8mm hitch cord, and some rigging rings of the right diameters.

See the third item on this list from Wesspur.

http://www.wesspur.com/friction-savers/friction-saver.html

And look at the 7th item down...that is just about exactly what I made up in my shop. Won't flip as well as some other fliplines, not as stiff...but the right rope would make it so. My three strand version flipped OK.

If spend the money on a Hitchhiker 2 or Rope Wrench, and/ or use a 540* wrap.

Those adjustable Ring and ring FSs don't flip like a flipline. Big stems don't seem like a slide hazard.

Could be worse to slide down and jar to a stop on a stub/crotch/ irregularity off the ground, than slide to the ground. Better to break your legs than spine.

Back