Max bar for a MS251

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
Just wondering what the maximum sized bar I can run on a MS251 chainsaw is, as I am potentially going to be doing a felling job where I am cutting some large timber 60cm and up potentially some 30cm diameter, and some other large sized trees. All the trees are pines so they are relatively soft doug fir or radiate at a guess. https://www.facebook.com/ZigZagRailway/photos/pcb.1139964872795977/1139964629462668/?type=3&theater land management post. I am happy to get a larger saw if I get the job if the ms 251 will not cut it. What sized saw would be suggested?
Thanks,
Pat

Keep your chain sharp and clean the bar grooves and inside the face plate. Make sure oil is getting to the bar! I wouldn't go any bigger than a 18" bar with a 250/251 which I believe is the maximum length you can put on it. I wouldn't bury the the blade as it will likely stall. It can cut wood bigger than the bar length but that saw doesn't have an adjustable oiler. So if you are going to be making lots of cuts, one after another especially you will overheat the bar. A MS 290/291 is a good step up with an adjustable oiler that will pull a 20" bar. Good luck and be safe!

Keep your chain sharp and clean the bar grooves and inside the face plate. Make sure oil is getting to the bar! I wouldn't go any bigger than a 18" bar with a 250/251 which I believe is the maximum length you can put on it. I wouldn't bury the the blade as it will likely stall. It can cut wood bigger than the bar length but that saw doesn't have an adjustable oiler. So if you are going to be making lots of cuts, one after another especially you will overheat the bar. A MS 290/291 is a good step up with an adjustable oiler that will pull a 20" bar. Good luck and be safe!

Blade???
:lol:

One undercuts the strength of one's advice if one fails to use the proper terminology, methinks.

Not that I disagree with said advice ;).

A good routine to have when using saws a bit harder, like bucking short length is to rev saw a bit after a couple cuts. That is the tuffest job you can do with a saw.
Stand still with bar pointing down, no crazy "wot" running, just flip throttle so rpm go up and down from idle to top and down again.

Help cool engine as airflow increase without load, lubes bar/chain. Takes a bit stress of that easily build as well.
Setting them on idle if they over heat is worse than shutting of as piston keep expanding.

Good to do regardless of saw, but especially good to do when running hobby, farmer/semipro saws like this a bit harder.
Here they have 14" bars, max 16". All 3/8Hobby chains

A good routine to have when using saws a bit harder, like bucking short length is to rev saw a bit after a couple cuts. That is the tuffest job you can do with a saw.
Stand still with bar pointing down, no crazy "wot" running, just flip throttle so rpm go up and down from idle to top and down again.

Help cool engine as airflow increase without load, lubes bar/chain. Takes a bit stress of that easily build as well.
Setting them on idle if they over heat is worse than shutting of as piston keep expanding.

Good to do regardless of saw, but especially good to do when running hobby, farmer/semipro saws like this a bit harder.
Here they have 14" bars, max 16". All 3/8Hobby chains

I use to shut mine down and set it in the shade until I heard you mention this in another thread :thumbup:

Uh oh...Burnham just called Jim 'Cowman'....:wall:

251 - 16"
361 - 18 -20"

Bore cuts, gut the hinge...you can do a lot with a short bar :/:

So far, no stampede of angry beeves at the door, FI...though it may yet come :).

I run a 25" on my 361...but I am in softwood conifer country. And yes, bore cuts, gut the hinge...you can do a lot with a short 25" bar :D.

Pffftt...25"...short, in ya dreams.
But then, I'd probably fall over with anything more than 20 on my saws, maybe need a set of bogey wheels to carry it...

Well, friend Fiona...in my older age I made every effort to recruit some young strong backed B level cutter to pack my 066/36" b&c, or even more so the 084/42" or 60" b&c out to the designated target. It usually wasn't hard to find such a candidate to get up close and personal with me, my rep, and a big hazardous tree to fall :/:.

Some few of them might not have even realized they were being made a tool by this devious old fart :D.

Just a suggestion for future consideration, m'lady ;).

Never trust the old guy still out there doing this work, kids...we all are devious :). Have to be, to survive this long :D.

Back