Arbor Trolley soft ground wheels wanted

Sean, awesome job on that oak, i saw that one on the work pic thread, lots of targets. I am still tossing around ideas in my head on exactly what i want. The minis are an awesome tool, and I've rented them in the past. I do agree they are an excellent way to do trees, even more so with a bmg. The only problem i see with them is that they disturb the ground if you don't plywood them in, and we have some big yards with little gates with most having pristine grass. Sawdust is the worst next to ruts, so the bigger capacity the better as long as it fits thru a gate. The bmg and mini take a whole limb and carry it to the curb, but most gates are right by the house here. You can cut everything up so it goes out the gate, but that has to happen as it comes down, with the mini driving everywhere. I can take all of my waste to my friends place, and he prefers it not to be chipped so he can wait till the leaves drop before he runs it thru his tub grinder. With the mini fowarder, i would be able to go over yards without laying any plywood, it would pick up more weight, it would have a cutter to process the tree without manually running a chainsaw, it would carry more weight for far fewer trips, it would be able to load a dump trailer, and would be able to saw the material further in said dump trailer. Like i said, I've just been tossing the idea around, but i also feel i could build the whole thing for less than 3k, and although it would be basically designed for trees only, that would suit me fine because i have a backhoe at home already. I do trees as a side gig mainly, because i work as a steamfitter during the day, so building something unique, productive and versatile is acceptable to me. Sorry about the rambling lol.

Rajan, nice to meet you, and very nice job on the chip box. I can tell you spent some serious effort in that. I also love building my own stuff, like i said, it's kinda my day job lol. There's nothing like using something you made, because everytime you use it, you remember the effort and pride it took, and everything is exactly where you put it.

90203.jpg
90198.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, nice pile of SS pipe! I look at fabbing my own gear as saving money a similar box would be 10g's. I built this one for around 4g's it would have been less but I purchased a Hypertherm 30xp for the build. Steel/parts/paint cost was around $1,500.00 iirc. There is a thread on the build in the gear forum with progress pics. I think it's call 'chip box build'.

Kyle...the welds are beautiful...your work I take it. But I want to know this...who's gonna clean up that mess?? Looks like a "pick up sticks" game.:lol:

Lol thank you, and yeah that's some of my work. I forget why i took pictures of it, i rarely take any pictures. Most places we work really don't like pictures taken of their stuff because to the right engineer you can reverse engineer chemical processes just from pipe routing pictures. If i remember correctly that was a very small portion of fabs for a wastewater treatment plant, thank god i didn't have any site work on that one. We just pile up all the fabs then when we are ready, we will bring in a semi and load several layers, all interlocking so the guys unloading it can do it safely. Not pictured is the 5 ton bridge crane, which is just for the pipe fab area for material handling, the work areas all have their own jib cranes. The sheet metal guys have their own bridge crane too, so basically if it's over 40 pounds, you don't lift it lol. We've had jobs where we would load a semi everyday, and one guys job is just to fly completed pieces down and load them. Someday i will have a shop that well set up lol

And Rajan, that's the best part of building your own stuff, it costs a small fraction of the original price. For someone like me, who doesn't want to add debt because i only do trees part time, it makes sense. The guy who got me started has all sorts of equipment and trucks, tub grinders, etc and even he does all of his own work on stuff including fabricating stuff he needs to save money.

Back