New Choking Crane Sling Stays on Hook

you could very well be absolutely right, they may suck to use and they may be dangerous. i just would need a clearer understanding of why you feel thay way other than you having done a lot of crane work and are adept enough using your current tools. Is it just a gut feeling you have about these?

where do you all buy crane slings and clevises? they dont seem to be much of a lroduct selection at any of the major tree suppliers. where do you purchase them?

No, that's why rigging needs to be certified. I see nothing but liability lawsuit written all over anything that hasn't been proof tested and tagged as such.

I missed this and I do agree with this comment. but this is still a concept project right? i dont see them for sale. i am assuming that the rope is rated already and those soft locks normally test at 140% of rope strength. It shouldnt be hard to get them with a stamped WLL.

big wood thats for sure. clevises are nice, they obviously work well. your opinion on these slings is still as worthess as mine. neither of us has held one, used one, other than look at the same video. I never really take much stock in reviews like that. thats just me. i havent heard a good reason other than not beig able to lower them through branches. there is a fear that they would fail. but is that a founded fear? i wish i could do four pick crane jobs. i dont have the ground support to handle big picks. nor the landing zone. I do see room for improvement in effeciency at least as far as my operation goes.

I'd say our opinion are informed, not useless. It doesn't take much imagination from a person who's had lots of experience with cranes, rigging and a variety of hardware involved, to envisage what these slings would be like to use out in the field. Whilst someone with much less experience might would be less likely to forsee the benefits or pitfalls. As with most products, rarely do you get to try them out first. You buy something because you recognize it's potential advantages. With this product, for me, I see none. That's all really. Someone else's turn now.

Just dont delete the video Nick. and send me a sample one for my floating block set up. just 1/2 inch or 9/16th. not the crane sized one. keep on with the ideas.

It is interesting that a major company like Yale Cordage has no problem using and certifying this technology. I wonder how many lawsuits they have endured due to catastrophic failures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-23-07-17-39-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-07-17-39-1.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 41
It is interesting that a major company like Yale Cordage has no problem using and certifying this technology. I wonder how many lawsuits they have endured due to catastrophic failures.

Who knows Dave. Yale are a great company, with integrity I believe. Not sure how much crane/tree work they do though. So, this looking less like an idea of any sorts, and more like a reintroduced concept. Awesome

Are there lots of big trees in Charlotte? Never struck me as that sort of place.

Never heard of Scotty Olson either. Is he well known in those parts?

How long has he been testing it for, years or months. If it's the latter, and is now or soon to be available to purchase....sold for the purpose of lifting 5 ton logs over people and structures ect. For how long ? When should it be retired? How will it hold up to abrasion, the elements, hydraulic oil ? Who knows. More questions than answers. All for a sling that actually solves nothing. As a worker, climber, business owner, you couldn't give me one....there's too much to lose and not enough to gain. I'd feel irresponsible. In Nicks shoes, I just don't think it'll sell. Nor is the risk worth the reward. The crane ops here and that I've known in the past sure wouldn't accept it....at least, not as the primary choker. Maybe a balancer, but that's it. Maybe standards are different elsewhere.

Go ahead and keep saying how great it is, but Im gonna pass on it.

This was my first thought reading this thread... lots of questions need to be answered.

Im pretty sure our crane guys out here wouldnt use this style of choker, I for one wouldnt feel comfortable being around this.

Take note of the maximum diameter numbers. Not so impressive.

ETA: That's not a sling, just a shackle.

Take note of the maximum diameter numbers. Not so impressive.
ETA: That's not a sling, just a shackle.

Yes, it is a shackle. That is the only component on Nicks concept sling that has been the cause of concern. I was just pointing out that shackles of that type are strong, have a proven track record and have ratings just like steel shackles.

I will be interested in how things work out in load testing.

Nicks concept is a good idea, after I gave it some thought. His sling is only going around the diameter of the eye. Needs a good cover ya ass disclaimer, test and cert tho in my opinion. Lots of people out there looking for a free ride and product liability lawsuits are their meal ticket.

Holy smokes, I wonder if that guy on the ground got creamed. You can see an orange helmet disappear right after the piece drops. I've never seen taglines used like that in crane removals.

Good find Mick!

Alex seems an honest bloke to post up a mistake like that.

I too have had a few arguments with CO's that didn't end well, rookie CO's both times.

Jomo

That sling looked old as dirt. Not real smooth picks, that's for sure.

+1

I agree, Levi,kinda weird tag line usage. Unusual at least.

I too have had a few arguments with CO's that didn't end well, rookie CO's both times.

Jomo

Now would be as good a time as any to retell how you tipped over a crane or tried to because you were upset with the CO.

Back