New Choking Crane Sling Stays on Hook

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Really excited to talk about these new crane slings we are working on. Help us come up with a name (or just vote for soft claw)!
If we choose your suggested name, we will send you one in the length of their choice.
Scotty Olson and Justin Mcvey have been testing these for us and they love them!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0_G_RHb_W8?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soft-Shackle-Crane-Sling.jpg

That pick pic is amazing...huge piece of wood.

Try Python....Python Grip....Python Claw Should be some good graphics associated with Python.

Or substitute Anaconda. Constrictors are "soft" but with amazing sustained strength.

Big thumbs down from me.

How yu gonna punch through a thick canopy without a heavy steel clevis at the end to keep on the straight n narrow?

Synthetic on synthetic creates more friction n heat than synthetic on steel.

That crane pick's ridiculous! I wouldn't wanna be around when the CO tries to lay it down and those laterals start spinnin n breakin off.

Good luck sellin such impractical silliness...

Jomo

I watched the video twice. Is that just a knot in the sling that the eye slips over? My sight isn't what it used to be.

I've never found metal hardware to be a risk on wire rope or rope used for crane picks. I guess it could be, but like anything else requires paying attention. i think Jomo's point is well taken about lowering through a crown, but if you can't use it to some type trees is that really a liability against the overall concept? Just another idea for use in the mix, good luck with it, Nick.

I think its great Nick! I have been a huge fan of the soft locks for a long time. Have tried to figure out a practical usage for them and this really looks good to me. I will definitely want these. I would absolutely trust that. They have been used in sailing for ages. How cool.

No, that's why rigging needs to be certified. I see nothing but liability lawsuit written all over anything that hasn't been proof tested and tagged as such.

I've done many thousands of crane removals and learned that Murphy's law applies.

That knot's eventually gonna get hung up in a tight crotch, and unless the CO's really observant and on his toes?

It's going to end up supporting the entire weight of the crane ball, with a 50/50 chance that it'll be the hook latch gate taking the entire load, and bending it to the point of failure.

I've seen it happen half a dozen times, and unless it's a Crosby Shur-Loc latch gate? The ball weight'll bust a typical latch gate, and you'll lose your rigging and imperil any climber beneath it.

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/produ...-hooks/crosby-s-1316-eye-type-shur-loc-hooks/

I strongly suggest that any crane used for tree removal be fitted with a Crosby Shur-Loc hook to eliminate any chance of losing your rigging and braining any climber directly beneath the crane ball n hook.

Jomo

As long as the latch can support the weight of the ball you're good to go Paul.

The Crosby Shur Loc's the only crane hook I know of designed to do just that.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's sling breaks at over 20k in 3/4". WLL would be 2-4K with 5-10:1 sf. I'll bet that pick was above that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 'knot' in the soft shackle can hold the weight of the becket of any crane I have ever seen in person, I'm sure.

Soft shackles as a concept are strong, this integrated adaption is no different.

You might think having a knot or lack of hardware is a bad thing. I disagree with that.

However I'm not saying you have to use this or that if you don't that you are somehow less intelligent.

If you prefer to use a shackle, or a steel choker that's definitely what you should choose.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, put its head in a boot Jack and jerk on its tail, only real way to do it.

Damn Jomo, thousands of crane lifts? Outstanding...

I may have a 1000... probable more like several hundred.

I didn't start working with cranes until the late '80's.

I was thinking the same thing, I have somewhere between 500-1000 would be a guess.

When you work with an in house crane for a decade doing nothing but removals every day, it adds up quickly.

Just one naval housing removal contract in Murphy Canyon totaled 4K trees in just under 4 months time.

In truth my total's well over 10K crane assisted removals.

Jomo

Back