New Choking Crane Sling Stays on Hook

Only misunderstanding is you're still thinking you can have a discussion with him. You have to agree or he'll keep telling you he's great.

Says the "hero" emerging from his dormancy....

Jomo

Sometimes I forget to not say anything at all. Grams would get me by the ear if she was still around.

Crane operator must not be that cushy, a lot of them complain about having neck pain. Probably the unnatural position combined with the high level of concentration, particularly in tree work.

Some of the crane cabs now rotate backwards so that the operator is essentially reclined and looking straight ahead while watching the load above them.

Nick, I think you should abolish that idea and delete the video before someone tries to mimic it. Splice in a piece of steel to replace that stopper knot, and you might have something. But as is, it looks like a bad example of rigging to be putting out there. You're gaiNing nothing in safety, and it's but a couple seconds faster than a shackle.

After watching the video, I had no idea that people did tree removals like that. As far as taking a sling off of the ball, choking it, then re-attaching. I have only ever used 2 steel cables with shackle/clip. Like this:http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/Sliding-Choker-Wire-Rope-Slings-Domestic

I never saw a problem with that setup, other then the fact it could be hard to balance certain pics at certain times. But, I removed a couple dozen trees like that with no issues and saw many more done the same way while I worked the ground.

I just think it looks bad, Dave....that big stopper knot. I could see someone trying to copy it, and having a mishap.

I like the no-knot/Crosby hook thing....but this looks shit, and doesn't inspire confidence. No offense Nick. It's not solving anything.

Well, you could be right, Reg, I have no idea if Nicks sling will work but the soft shackle has a history of use going back hundreds of years. They have successful held some really big shit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-20-20-51-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-20-20-51-11.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 53
Probably it does work Dave, same as tying a knot. But, if its hundreds of years old, and nothing new, then it's perhaps with good reason why I've never seen it used by crane companies. Ive done my share of that. I just don't think it's a step forward by any means.

the straps that most crane operators use dont inspire much confidence either. one of my crane guys sists i use his straps, which suck. I dont see why this is a bad idea. definitly dont understand why he should delete the video. And i most certainly will go out and try to copy it!

the straps that most crane operators use dont inspire much confidence either. one of my crane guys sists i use his straps, which suck. I dont see why this is a bad idea. definitly dont understand why he should delete the video. And i most certainly will go out and try to copy it!

Why would the CO want to use your straps and take a chance of hurting someone? All our rigging is proof tested and certified, we either roll with them or we don't roll.

I like Nick. I helped him out once. I will again if need be. That's why I've posted, otherwise I'd have said nothing. Having done more crane work than most, I see that thing as a time bomb. Take it or it leave it.

I'd delete the vid because it's disingenuous, outrageously so.

Who the fug takes takes the choker off the hook each pick anyway? Only a complete idiot who has no idea what a clevis is.

It's a BS sales technique IMO.

Jomo

As far as being a great idea I have to agree and it probably has its place in industry, just not mine.

I think Jomo was referring to the disingenuousness of the vid as being outrageous rather than danger.

(Watching brief here)

Back