Barn takedown and hayshed repair

Not much environmental disaster in a quarter cup of waste oil inside a post, unless your environment is a lot more sensitive than mine.

Justin, I always am offered money for the old boards on the miners shack and the tin on the roof.
When I lived in MA, the old barn slate and beams were worth many a penny. Pull her over gentle and hope nough salvage survives.
Decorative lumber is high board foot.

I know the suggestion was in jest and Squish wouldn't put a bad vibe of deceit into his property there, but there are few self inflicted fires that the fire department investigators can't spot. Those guys whose job it is to be so, are very smart about the causes of fires when they go through the aftermath. Sending ash out for analysis is often how they pick up on a scheme. Combustibles often leave a trail. No doubt the investigators love nailing people too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definetly going to try and salvage to reuse and sell what I can. I may even craft up a few things out of the old boards and horse shoes. Lots of yuppies around here, that may pay for coat hooks and what not like that.

But I basically have to melt out and dry up before getting started. It's pretty wet around here for atleast another couple/few weeks.

I'll endeavour to get some pics of the process.

So. A long and wet spring. But finally the day has come.

I took it down by myself with my 35hp kubota. Had a couple of dicey moments, broke a rope, but in the end its toppled and quite neatly so far. I was hoping my strawberries wouldn't get crushed. :D

Now the real fun begins.

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

You throw some cripple cuts into the uprights first?

I just ended up ripping a few out with a rope on the front. And then I pushed it over from the back. Easy peasy.

Yup I'll have a crap ton of crappy wood by the time it's all cleaned up.

That nice wide open scenery here is a double edged sword at times like these. Now the pressure is on to cleanup this mess. Lol.

Well. The cleanup is going strongly. I worked at it Friday and then on Monday. Had a stellar weekend of family events and visiting whatnot.

So not bad for two days. Today a buddy of mine is coming out and I hope to have it mostly all tidied up. Now a bunch of 'big' chunks I've managed to lift away with my pallet forks aren't processed right down but they are forwarded to a nice out of the way area where I can pick away at my leisure. Most important to me for now is getting rid of the eyesore.

IMG_1376.jpg

Thanks Gary. Yes I am very good at 'groundy' type work, I was designed for lifting things.

By the end of today it should be wiped out. Because I never got the last vertical wall section yesterday, to my wife and daughter it looked like I didn't do much. :whine:

Peter is definitely NOT your friend!! He is setting you up big time.

What Willie said:
Gurlz! They have no clue what we do in a day

Many's the time my wife asked me what took so long in a tree...there is no answer that really works.:D

Gary...duh...the answer is "I was distracted thinking about you all day, never could get in my groove. Come here and kiss me!"

Back