Troubleshooting malware issue / myfileshare redirect

Evan Sussman

TreeHouser
Hi all,

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'm working on troubleshooting this issue. In my experience I get redirected the first time I navigate to masterblasterhome.com from the Google app on my android tablet or phone.

It seems other forums running on the same software have had this issue too, and that you only see it from certain "user agents" aka browser and hardware combinations.

All that to say, I may request help from anyone who has seen this issue. Since it only shows once per day or so. If you've seen the issue here, please post once and I may ask you to test as we work through this.

Also, in troubleshooting I'm going to have to temporarily disable some of the plugins on the forum. So, we may experience little changes or reduced functionality. It should all be temporary, and should not result in data loss.

So please let me know if you've seen this issue. Or if you have a device that I described.

Thanksl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FYI,

This is what is happening for me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jON4OXbo0LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I get stuff like that on my phone once in a while too.

I have the TreeHouse on my bookmarks bar, and just now I had to click on it a bunch of times to get here. Single line of text on a white screen...something about a fatal error.

My vital signs are still good so it could not have been too fatal.

I get stuff like that on my phone once in a while too.

I have the TreeHouse on my bookmarks bar, and just now I had to click on it a bunch of times to get here. Single line of text on a white screen...something about a fatal error.

My vital signs are still good so it could not have been too fatal.

Sorry about that. When I disabled one of the plug-ins that happened. A shot of adrenaline went through my spine as I clicked "enable" and then all was good.

Ok, so I was consistently getting the redirect everytime after I would clear my cache. After I went through the plug-ins one at a time, for some reason from the bottom up it seems to be fixed after the last one I tried.

That was "Display Unread Posts 4.2.0.0 Display unread posts and last visited date."

So at this point I'm leaving that plugin off. I hope it isn't a huge deal. Since it's off I don't remember what it did. Does anyone else know? I can look into deleting it and finding a fresh install of that plugin if it's missed.

If anyone has any redirect issue, please let me know so I can know if that didn't fix it, or if something else became an issue. I'd read that some others had plugins become infected a month or so later. Hopefully we tightened down the hatch enough so that doesn't become an issue.

Alright, got the plugin reinstalled, so your new post count should show in the upper right as it did.

I'm not getting the redirect anymore when I do my testing process. I think we got it.

Let me know if the issue comes back, or if some functionality appears to be missing regarding the new post counter.

For anyone interested, when I compared the old plugin code to the fresh install I found the following difference.

On the left is the fresh code, and on the right is the old one.

Red is what I think was the issue, yellow is where it is not in the fresh install. Everything else seemed to be pretty much the same.

I have no idea what it all means, but it shouldn't be there, and all seems to work now.

Untitled.jpg

I've got no idea Butch.

I just got done reading logs of who has made changes in that area. It looks like before me it was your username​ and "SteveBullman", both back in May of last year, before that was same users in '13 and then '11. I can't see exactly what changes were made though.

My only guessplaination is that it was "lying in wait" for a while. It seems others have recently had this issue, and some from years back have had almost the same issue.

I have been watching, Evan...impressive you could work through that. It is all beyond me but cool to see someone that even knows where to START messing with it all.

Anyone having trouble embedding videos now? I've done it hundreds of times but they seem to just be too big now, and I haven't done anything. It could be this laptop but I'm sure I've embedded them here before on it.

Can't seem to find an embedded video since you fixed the other problems Evan.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:75.0%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hRX6hSGeZs4?ecver=2" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

I bet it's your computer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mGsC_LO3oFY?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back