Poulan 245a seals

david jones

Treehouser
I've been trying to locate crank seals for my 245 with no luck, done a lot of reading here an there but haven't seen any pt. #'s yet that for sure will work. I don't wont to take it apart and can't get seals, anyone know of what will work. Saw sure looks good but I'm not much for wall hangers. Thanks David

Info from hotshot. Found both the aftermarket PTO side seals manufactured by Dichtomatik. BTW, neither of the OEM Poulan 306/245 PTO side seals are a garter spring type pressure seal, both are the V seal designs but have worked well for thirty years or more & the new ones passed pressure/vacuum testing fine. Both of my saws have new seals & oiler plunger quad rings now all through, and they run great. The OEM outer seal for the oiler cover is 5/8" x 7/8" by an 1/8" in width, Poulan 530019035. The inner PTO side seal is Poulan 5300001936, both are metal OD, V type lips.

Here's their website, https://catalog.dichtomatik.us/ Go to the Product Information tab & download the catalog, it's rather large but quite worth reading through. Seals are on page 71 & 74.

The inner seal is a #068091VM. There's only one design choice available, V seal & Metal OD.

The outer seal I used was a #060809VC . It's also a V seal with a rubber coated OD and thinner at 0.094" width. I don't think a pressure type garter is necessary, as the oiler cover flanges fits loosely. If they made a metal OD VM type, I would have preferred that.

There are three other outer PTO seals available in the correct dimensions, one is a #0608709VC & shows to be only 0.001" wider, WTF is up with that??

The other two seals are true garter spring designs, the 06081SM & 060871TZ-H. The SM is a single lip metal OD type, and the TZ-H is a dual lip metal OD type with a factory sealant coating on the OD. Both of the garter types are an 1/8" wide.

Don't forget to put sealant on the two larger oiler cover bolts when you put the cover back on, as that's a direct shot into the crankcase! In other words, you can't pressure/vac test unless you plug those holes.

Well, my thought was right on the two catalog sizes listed for this little seal. Just got around
last week to call the Dichtomatik sales office in Houston to check.

The Dichtomatik catalog is wrong & has two part numbers duplicated on page 71. The correct
number for the P306 outside pump cover grease seal is 0608709VC, which is 7/8" OD. The
part number 060809VC is a 0.813" OD & would be too small.

Also found out that Fastenal can get this seal brand shipped to their locations in just a few
days, usually from a central warehouse in Shakopee, Minnesota.

Well crap, I (tried) using another 0608709VC rubber coated oil pump cover seal, and it won't stay put. With all the
grease that you packing into the gear housing, then have to install the cam end up into the seal before you install
the gear set, the greasy seal pops just back out of the cover housing. There is no backstop/ledge for this seal application,
as the 7/8" hole in the cover is bored straight through. The first one I used did fine, but I installed it after degreasing and used some Dirko HT on the outside edge. I don't suggest using this slippery type 0608709VC rubber OD seal.

Ues the DICHTOMATIC #06081SM seal, which has a STEEL CASE OD & uses a garter spring to back the NBR nitrile lip.

FIXED

Picked up a half dozen of the DICHTOMATIC #06081SM seals at Fastenal today, and they are the correct ones for
oil pump gear cover on the P245/306 series saws. The only difference is that these are garter spring backed, and not the
simple V lipped grease seal that was factory installed by Poulan. If you want pics, and I can some post later on.

Unless MM needs help on the Speigel 223 seal, this thread is wrapped up like fishing line on your lawn mower shaft!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot, there is a Fastenal store in Chattanooga, a few miles north of me. I've bought from them before but I thought they just sold bolts, drills, taps an such.
Thanks Again David J.

Ha, ha, - guess you asked the question in the right place David.

LOL got lucky I happen to know guys that were searching this years back.

Will check info saved on my site to see if Aaron saved info there too. He will have 100% for sure info posted there. ;)

Can you guys see this cross reference thread as a guest or you might need to be signed in. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum....seals-misc-cross-reference/msg71961/#msg71961

Will pull the 245 info

Poulan 245/306

-PTO seal: 530001936. Dichtomatik 068091VM (dist by Rankin Industries). .687"x.937"x.135" (OEM measurements). .688"x.938"x.172" (AM measurements. Suitable).

-FW seal: 530019042. CR 5542 or 5541.

-Oil pump seal: 530019035. Dichtomatik 06081SM.

-FW side bearing: 530003208. Aftermarket?

-PTO side bearing: 530032011. Aftermarket?

Clicking on the link takes me to taptalk - and then it wants me to sign in.

That means the link is blocked for members only then. Some boards are blocked from guest eyes unless you are signed in member. Just like here. ;)

Yep I logged out and as guest you wont see the board but this.

Warning!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with Chainsaw Repair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I been reading for a while here and figured someone would know what I needed. Don't know if this saw is worth fixing, I'll never use it once it's fixed and I aint never had any luck sellin anything, conversation piece I guess. Last one I fixed up, MS270c, my friend wanted it, got it going an had $330 in it, don't even have it's own bar an chain, told him up front maybe $150. I put it in the back room with the rest. Looks and runs good though.

Back