Ideas

Exactly. Pulsed ss is awesome. Before you would run so fast you would go home and just pass out because of the concentration needed. Now it just flows in there, and has a spray arc, which is super stable with no spatter. They have pulsed tig too, which in my opinion is only needed on orbital welders, a guy welding by hand can do just fine without it.

Nice to meet you Bob, glad to see there's another fitter here :) And with a name like blacksmith i assume you do some forging as well, which is awesome because i was going to start messing around with that as well. This forum keeps getting better and better!

:onfire:

So far over my head as to be nearly useless...to me, I mean. Others here will benefit, no doubt. We obviously have an expert with this stuff in the 'House!

Out of the last three pages I understood "TIG" and "Stainless"...

I'm a horrible welder. I've never done enough to even get A hang of it let alone THE hang of it. It's definitely a science. I just haven't read the book, or needed too. I DO appreciate the knowledge and skill involved. A nice weld is a thing of beauty, especially when you have to count on it!

Carry on...

I'm far from an expert in anything, just a student of doing stuff. Welding is one of those things that after you learn just a bit of it, you wonder how you got anything done before. Want to modify a trailer to hold a toolbox? Or maybe add rake pockets on the chipper. Fix broken tools, make new ones, build stuff you want but can't afford, repair broken equipment, add chain holds to your mini bucket, the list never ends. It's like woodworking but your final product is something you can use to make money. If you are interested in learning, most community colleges have classes, even night classes, for a song. That's how i started. They often welcome projects, and have materials included in the price of the class that you can use. I used to mow grass on the side, by my second class i built a mower trailer that would have cost thousands for maybe a couple hundred bucks. Here's a log arch i welded up in an afternoon with a 12 pack or so. 84111.jpg
84112.jpg

:thumbup:

I've been "going to" take a welding class at the local CC for about, oh...25 years or so :D. Might about be the time, now that retirement is such an easy gig.

A friend of mine down the road is a professional metal fabricator, been welding since he was a kid. I can weld a bit but nowhere near his level of proficiency and clean welds. We trade off a bit on things. One thing though, having read some books on metallurgy when I was getting into building furniture using stainless, I know more about that subject than he does. Welding, at least his kind, is one profession where you don't seem to have to know much about the make up of materials that you are working with, just which welding rods or whatever to use with which type of steel. Mostly he's using soft steel or 304 stainless, sometimes cast iron. He hired me to help him once at a dairy product factory, welding ladders in bubble like stainless tanks used to make yogurt or something. It was a cool job, but beetch, I remember burning a hole through one of the tanks. Kind of messed up my mind. :big-bat:

Its like cutting trees, you don't need to be an arborist, but the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want to follow it. I will say be very very careful around tanks. Lots of people knew just enough to get themselves killed doing that. Any explosive vapors or dust can turn something into a bomb. Its the equivalent of cutting trees overhanging the primaries... dudes do it for a living, but you don't do it if you dabble. Same goes for making anything that is pressurized. You can't possibly imagine the force compressed air has. People have died from trying to make compressed air tanks, or trying to use air to pressure test something. So no torching up 55 gallon drums or propane tanks. And just because you took the valve out doesn't make it safe. You need special equipment to do that kind of work, and it's usually easier to head to the local bar, the drunkest guy there is usually a petty good welder the next am :)

Last edited:
My son wanted to take welding in high school vocational school. I tried to talk him into a different field and told him I could teach him to weld but not a choice I would make for a career.

He said it was what he wanted to do. OK. Found out the good welding jobs are hard to get and the ones you could get suck.

Welders are a dime a dozen, 15 minutes training and you're as good as you'll ever be, or so I've been told.

ETA: Untill presented with an Arkansas bell hole (6G w/restrickers).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok back to the splitter project

Going with the conveyor design Ed posted, how bout replace the motorized conveyor with rollers and have it on an angle with an adjustable stop at the end.......

you mean like this Paul?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y84nLXbyd4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That would create end bind for the saw, and the piece wouldn't fall into the splitter part perfectly. There is a reason everyone that builds these wastes the time and money to build a conveyor. That takes a hydraulic motor, hoses roller assemblies etc, but it's worth it because it works the best. I have seen redneck ones where the dude pushes it by hand, and powered redneck ones where the guy puts a winch line choked around the end and pulls it, but everybody who has a good one is done with conveyor rollers. Its just kind of "the way". I've found when designing stuff to build, find out how everyone else does it, and then see if there is a better way. Sometimes there is, but it's rare. Humans can be smart, we just need to take the next step in their thinking. Stand on their shoulders so to speak. But hell you know all of that, you've actually brought stuff to market. I did see a cool one that was a skid steer attachment. He would grab a log, drive over to the pile, and then everything was contained on the bucket. Had a stroke movement to feed the log, hotsaw, then splitter, then pieces fell into the pile.

Thats a cool splitter, i thought he meant for advancing the logs to the cut off saw. Woops

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ed that is close but not quite. That one still needs a warm body operating it, mine wouldn't. Obviously I should say my concept as it isn't built.

Tree09 sorry don't know your name yet, mines Paul, back to the incinerator, if I make blocks that interlock out of refractory say 4' wide and 1' tall then place i- beams every 4 so they could have slack to expand, any chance of working in your opinion

Best way to do refractory is hire a gunnite crew to come shoot it on. That or build a wood form and just pour it. It's like cement, but made for the heat. That's about as good as I'm gonna be able to help, I'm a fitter, boilers are done by boilermakers, and gunnite is laborers i believe. I know the basic steps, but I'm not the go to guy on that. The problem with using i beams to hold it all together is that there will be a seam that will catch stuff, and it will burn away. The castable refractory or gunnite is just usually patched by hand. You want to be able to run as hot as possible in order to crack the hydrocarbons into co and h2. And I'm kyle :)

Why not make use of all the cracked hydrocarbons, drive to work powered by CO and H?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aRbYiP0cJmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And stall every time you hit a steep hill.

We had those during WW2 here, word is, they didn't work so well.

Back