Boredom=organization

Buddy

Treehouser
Haven't been doing much lately so I have had time to do some cleanup. I added a new shelf to the saw cabinet and put some hangers inside the doors to hold chains and bars. I also took a half dozen bars into town to have them railed. I haven't been this organized in... well never.

IMG_2695.jpg

Best way for me to use down time as well , fix and organize everything ... At the time of , it brings in Zero Shekels but it definitely pays back when the phone rings and work picks up to have it together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even though running chainsaws is no longer my occupation I still like to keep them in running order. You never know...

The dirty saw on top is a 660 that a guy over by Roseburg modded for me. It is an awesome saw! I put more hours on that saw than any other saw I ever ran and it's still going strong. I did put new rings in it but it probably didn't need them. This winter I replaced the shroud over top of the motor. I have stripped all three screws that hold it on. Two of them I helicoiled and the one got helicoiled and stipped again. So, I drilled and tapped the saw for a fine threaded bolt (5/16). Then I drilled and tapped the 5/16 bolt to except the original shroud bolt. I cut the 5/16 bolt of so it was just threads inside and out and loctited it in place. Worked out well, now we'll see if it will hold up to the vibration.

I also put a triple ported muffler back on it with the baffle removed. The old one developed a crack and I ran it almost stock for awhile, just didn't sound the same. Oh and I've been playing with my Silvey Pro Sharp. Had it for about 5 years and I have never gotten it to grind the left side of a chain exactly the same as the right. Getting closer to figuring that out, I hope.

An hour or so of tidying then I'll start it. It's late here so I'll wait till morning.

As an aside I sold my 1.5tonne digger today. I love the space freed up for more stuff!

Mine is lame.....it has no tig welder or milling machine in it yet.

Ha ya, mine missed the pictures because I had to sweep under them and I hadn't brought them back inside yet.:/:

Mines always a disaster

You're obviously a busy man. It's like when the old lady comes home from work and says, "you've been here all day and you couldn't do the dishes?" Me- "Sorry honey, I was super busy, there's this new forum I found..."

I almost burned my shop down.

You know you can rail you own bars easy enough with a tablesaw fitted with a metal cut off wheel, so no need to go into town. :/: I use my ten inch saw, but I'm sure a cheap portable tablesaw would work, you just have to make an insert for the cut off wheel center which is probably larger than the saw arbor. Wear safety glasses. Cut off wheels are flexible, so good to epoxy a wood backing plate on one.

Deny or blame it on someone else! In this case I blamed it on you guys.:D

I almost burned my shop down.

You know you can rail you own bars easy enough with a tablesaw fitted with a metal cut off wheel, so no need to go into town. :/: I'm sure a cheap portable tablesaw would work, you just have to make an insert for the cut off wheel center which is probably larger than the saw arbor. Wear safety glasses.

Never thought of that. I did try it on my drill press with a carbide bit that I use in my die grinder. Can't remember how it turned out. I do remember the bit didn't cut the bar very well.

The guy in town said he would do them for free, when he gets time.

I have worked in some nice shops over the years.

Worked for a gunsmith before I could drive, I think I was about 12. Stayed there till I was graduated from high school. Nice lathe and mill in that shop.

Worked for a diesel mechanic for the four years I was in college. That was a nice shop. Rebuilt heads when we were slow.

I have a small shop on my farm. Nothing fancy, just big enough for a 100 horse loader tractor.

Dad has a much bigger shop, and since he retired I work up there on the big projects. He has a couple lathes, and we bought a valve grinder set up.

I just need a mill and some other stuff. Like a tig welder and a plasma cutter.

I average about 50,000 dollars worth of labor in both shops.

Nice, I always wanted to learn how to run a lathe and milling machine but never got the opportunity. I spent my first year out of high school working in a fabrication shop. I hated my boss and I didn't like being stuck inside all the time so I moved on.

Jim, my plasma cutter is on loan to the metal fabricator down the road, and my tig I hardly ever use. It can't do aluminum, I really messed up buying one that can't do both. I could give them both to you but the shipping would be out of sight.

I did not get to do a lot of machining when I worked for the gunsmith, just some basic stuff.

I mostly learned from my Dad, who bought a couple lathes over the years. He is self taught and taught me a lot of stuff.

I have been looking for a used Bridgeport or a Sharp knee mill. No three phase, but I have a friend who makes custom VFD's that can hook me up.

Oh, and a surface grinder would be nice too.......

I bet it would be a pretty penny shipping that over here Jay!

I have been saving my money for an HTP Invertig 221. Italian made outfit but sold and serviced in the US. Full featured with the high frequency start for aluminum.

Its no Miller Dynasty, but I cant afford one either!

Back