Urgent squirrel nest situation

Great pic!

Is she hyper like a wild squirrel or will she hang out and be petted?

Nah, she loves attention. When they're young, they're feisty and love to wrestle and play. As they get older most of them chill out and like to be rubbed and petted. Kind of like me;).

You've probably already explained but, how did you get him, from a tree job?

This one actually was brought to us by a neighbor who found her as a little pinkie in her yard. The previous ones had come from tree jobs and streetlights.

I've dealt with this a lot. I've never been attacked by a squirrel. At this point I typically don't worry about the adults at all having seen them come out of riding tree tops to the ground so many times. As far as the babies go I make an effort to avoid cutting into the nest if they are in a hollow spot or I will put them in a diddy bag and rope them down. We just set them out of the way and the mom will typically come back and get them after the chipper and saw noise goes away. In my case I have the home owner kind of keep an eye out for them. If the mom doesn't pick them up I'll go back and get them and the wife and daughter will raise them.

Grey and Red squirrels will typically have a few other half assed nest set up in case of attacks. Raccoons will raid squirrel nest and eat the babies and the only thing mom can do is try to grab a baby and run, plus figure in bird attacks and tree failures and they learn pretty early on to have a fall back.

The backup nests are usually abandoned males' nest. You can tell a male nest from a female... the latter will be just kinda thrown together.

Why would female nests be just thrown together? I would think they would be the well-made, cozy ones.

I had heard about back up nests but this is good further info.

We cut a tree a tree yesterday, there were 2 pinkies in it, unharmed in their nest. Ma ran out of it when tree hit the ground. I was a lil surprised they were already there this early in the season. We put the nest aside, put it back where the tree was at end of the day, and this morning the nest was empty, I'm sure thanks to ma.

What I'm saying is the backup nest is an abandoned male's nest. Males don't stay long at any one nest so they don't build them so sturdy. The females know where they are.

We cut a tree a tree yesterday, there were 2 pinkies in it, unharmed there nest. Ma ran out of it when tree hit the ground. I was a lil surprised they were already there this early in the season. We put the nest aside, put it back where the tree was at end of the day, and this morning the nest was empty, I'm sure thanks to ma.
Good for you Cory. That's amazing they've already had babies that far north. I once watched a flying squirrel round up her babies that were scattered on the ground and fly to another nest with them. Great mothering instinct.

What I'm saying is the backup nest is an abandoned male's nest. Males don't stay long at any one nest so they don't build them so sturdy. The females know where they are.

Gotcha.

Good for you Cory. That's amazing they've already had babies that far north. I once watched a flying squirrel round up her babies that were scattered on the ground and fly to another nest with them. Great mothering instinct.

:thumbup:

Seen this twice ...Though not a full on attack , the Flying Squirrels do a protective territory thing when the Tree is coming down.

The adult flew down at us all pissed off , I wasn't scared as I believe the two of us could have taken it out if it came to a fight.

Yep. AirForce Cable Dog then AT&T splicer then Repairman. 22 years this October. That's why ladders don't bother me! This was actually my first time running into flying squirrels. I didn't know that they were the most abundant squirrel in Ohio. You just never see them because they're nocturnal. Neat little boogers. She was really cool. The flat tails were neat to see.

Cool pictures of the flyers. I caught 12 one winter in my attic. Relocated each one to the local park. I thought I had one or two...not 12.

I had two, once. I kept them in a 90-gallon fish tank in my living room, where I also slept. I kept them for maybe a week, but being as how they are so nocturnal, they were kinda underwhelming as "pets." It was funny, the sounds they would make at night.... super high pitched and barely audible.

Eventually, I released them at night on a pecan tree.

They were gone in 1/2 second! :)

Back