Fishing 2017

Whoa Ray!...Whale of a fish...did you happen to find Jonah in there?? lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another wore out lineman and I made our annual trip across the bay to fish the freshwater lakes on St. Vincent Island. We caught 59 bass, about as many big bream and had some real close gator encounters as they tried to eat our lures and fish. I kept four bass for the table and released everything else. P1011064.jpg P1011062.jpg P1011079.jpg P1011073.jpg P1011075.jpg

Cool Gators.

We rented (10$) boats 15 years ago and rowed around the Louisiana state arboretum...the gators were many and big....people looked at us like we were idiots/bait for not having a powerboat big enough to get away.

Met some gator cullers for the State...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Funny Deva. They pretty much leave you alone unless you've got something they want to eat or you get close to a nest. I retired from guiding gator hunters last year, the dark to daylight stuff is not as thrilling as it used to be. Besides, I need all the beauty sleep I can get.

Greenland shark would be one.
Unless you buried it in the ground for about a year first.

Is there a non-table fish?
Although you can eat about any of them, some are much better than others and some are just plain nasty. Ladyfish are beautiful, aggressive, great jumpers, fighters and one of our most numerous species through the summer but are just plain nasty to eat. I saw schools yesterday that probably numbered in the hundreds of thousands.
I'm not a shark fan either. If blacktips are gutted when they hit the deck and immediately immersed in a super cold salt/ice slush to stop the skin urination/ammonia build up process, they are not bad but with so many other better fish, I don't bother unless a visitor just wants to try one.
Puffers are outstanding, but if you nick their gall bladder and it gets on the meat, there's a good chance that six of your friends will give you a lift into the back of a big black station wagon. I fillet them without opening the body cavity.

Back