Fishing 2017

Never way off shore. I have been caught fairly close to shore when the wind came up like crazy, umbrellas blowing down the beach, etc. It was indeed very difficult to get in.

I'm aware of the potential dangers. I know to head out against the wind. When I'm way out there, the weather and water is usually quite warm, the winds are low.

Nice of you, as a highly experienced waterman, to ask.

The same day that I encountered those heavy winds, 4 people went out in kayaks and paddle boards from CT and got blown straight as an arrow with the wind direction clear across the sound to the North shore of Long Island, 2 died from hypothermia. http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-kayak-death-hammonasset-20160613-story.html

Ray, do you recall the story from last summer I think it was, about the 2 FL kids who were quite experienced on the water got caught in a storm in their power boat and lost at sea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember it well and I really thought they'd be found alive for the first few days. Something to think about when you're 100 miles offshore. It would take someone a while to get to you even if you did get out a mayday.
A Georgia man drowned in the surf here a couple of weeks ago while trying to save a 12 year old boy. The boy made it out alive. It has been really windy here with high surf for much of the last couple of months.

"The bloody thing just jumped in my boat". "Like something from a sharknado movie". Too funny, especially since he didn't get hurt too seriously.

IMG_1698.jpg IMG_1697.jpg
This about sums up what was caught today. A couple of rock bass, which are a great fight for their size and especially for a 7 and 5 year old. I'd like to point out the Treestuff and teufulberger buffs they are wearing. In a couple years these to youngsters might be asking for sponsors.

She's wearing my favorite, the Spidey one. Gotta love those expressions, and the boots! Keep up the good work with the kids Rich. By the way, that's a beautiful lake, what's the name of it?

Had another great offshore adventure today. The red snapper were on fire and we probably caught over 100 but only kept our limit of 2 apiece. We caught a box full of vermillion snapper and a kingfish too. The Gulf was as smooth and as clear as glass and just working alive with fish. It was an awesome day to be on the water.
P1011123.jpg P1011126.jpg P1011121.jpg P1011134.jpg P1011137.jpg

Wow, some hookups there!. Hell of some snappers. That would bring some good money here at the fish market.

Ray, what are those snappers feeding on with those fat bellies?
Just about anything they want! There were baitfish and reef fish of different species in them Jay. Those we caught last week had mostly squid in them. Red snapper are amazingly fast for short spurts and very aggressive. We did lose a few to jewfish and sharks. A jewfish (goliath grouper) ate probably my biggest fish of the day. I've come to really dislike them. They eat 20 pound snapper and grouper like an hors d’oeuvres.

Round two on the Gulf red snapper. Another gorgeous day on the blue water and some nice fish. Old Joel was having a hard time lifting the first one!
P1011148.jpg P1011155.jpg P1011157.jpg

Whoah, that last one is avatar material.

Back