Fishing 2017

Remember when I told you guys that this kayak that I borrowed could not be tipped over?

Yeah, scratch that. You can tip one over.....and sober too.

Be careful out there.

Next time skip the sober part. Did you no good anyway, and being relaxed always makes a tippy boat feel less so.
:D

I caught a large one once, didn't know what to do with it, didn't have the right gear, and it escaped.

But, I had it on the line enough to bring it to the surface.

Maybe 12 feet plus...

Big and fat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speaking of sharks, I took some new friends from Ohio on their first saltwater expedition here. Father and son teamed up to catch a nice spinner shark. They also caught spanish mackerel, speckled and white seatrout and a few flounder. They released several red snapper and grouper too.
P1011284.jpg P1011287.jpg P1011294.jpg P1011298.jpg

Comments to this effect:

The shark isn't a record for New Jersey. It didn't live in New Jersey. It lived in the ocean anywhere it could swim to. It probably lived a long life and gave life to many many other sharks in the world. Because we dislike sharks and fishermen catch them like this one, they are getting rarer and rarer. This big, beautiful creature deserves to still be swimming out there and living its shark life instead of being hung up and gloated over. What a shame this is!

And,

Couldn't have said it any better. As we quickly deplete the world of its resources and wonders, trophies like this are an abomination, not a prize

Afaik, many species are endangered or threatened in large part due to finning for shark fin soup which is big in Asia.

Lotta conservationists holler that if sharks are wiped out or severely diminished, the ocean ecosystem would be thrown into havoc. I can imagine but I wasn't sure exactly why that would be. But I believe the answer is that if sharks go away, their prey would overpopulate which would cause their prey (small fishes) to be threatened. It would cause the base of the ocean food chain to be endangered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By the way, we released the shark(s) but speaking as one who has spent a little time on the water, there are more sharks in the Gulf right now than at any time in the last forty years. My friends on the Atlantic side echo my observations here. Sharks have really put the hurt on shrimpers. They bite huge holes in the nets as the boats are towing, releasing it's contents for an easy meal. When the nets are dumped on the deck and the bycatch is thrown overboard, it's a pretty wild scene this time of year. If you fell overboard while culling off, they wouldn't find a fingernail.

IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg

caught this with a team effort....4 lb test on ultralight rod. Yozuri pins minnow gold. Fish took off into logs after being hooked. I didn't want to lose my favorite lure.......so skinny dipping i went while Leo held rod to maintain pressure. Success! gave neighbors a good show too...lol

walter.jpg

hooked another hog!

Summer semester is over! gonna fish for three weeks..........then it starts all over again:O

Back