Fishing 2017

I was visiting an island in the Japan sea once and went swimming. I couldn't believe all the oysters that I saw under water. I asked the lady where I was staying about it and she said. "People don't eat them here because we have so much other sea food that tastes better". Breaded fried oysters are delicious, but I guess the squid ensemble that she made for lunch might have tasted better. Hard to believe though, not eating oysters available in your back yard.

I'm not so keen on them raw, the way a lot of people go for them at those oyster bars. The same with abalone, the way people like it raw in sushi. No comparison to how much better breaded and fried, imo.

I get raw trout on sushi all the time, very tasty ;)...raw tuna my fav though!

Like this Jim
06c822bf5f2af2d7a959ca5de04c37c1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...raw tuna my fav though!
Loving the tuna too Scott. While cleaning the last ones we caught I had to do a little taste test.........
Lord willing, we're going back that same area in a week. It's a hundred mile run one way but hopefully it will be worth it.

Nice Ray!..Semi retired is a nice way to get out more and do the things we love!

toss up some pics when you get back

For sure. A couple of friends have entered us in a King Mackerel tournament here this weekend. I've never fished a tournament before, always got out of town on those weekends, so this will be a first for me. Maybe I can post a pic with a big Mack and a big check in the next couple of days;). We're going to have fun and proceeds are going to the Leukemia Research Foundation, so it will be good either way. First prize is 5k for the biggest king and 3k for the biggest spanish mackerel.

Mackerel are great fun to fish. Those boys can run. I used to catch them off the Malibu barge on the west coast with a feather. When the schools were about it was the sporting life. Asians would be waiting at the dock for them.

Wild looking fish Butch.
We ran out and made an overnight trip to the Florida Middle Grounds and caught snapper, grouper and a lot of other species. I caught a bucket list yellow tail snapper which are common in the keys but very rare this far north.
P1011310.jpg
P1011332.jpg
P1011321.jpg

What a haul!

That is a lot of filleting to do!

Boy, there's a unimaginable amount of energy in just one storm. Not just electricity, which there is plenty of, but wind, rain, up and down drafts, waves and everything associated with it. If you could harness THAT..........
We tried to skirt that one but it was just too wide and we finally just had to dive in.
In one section there had to be 40 knot cross winds but wave height was not that bad, the wind was blowing the tops off and the rain was beating them down. Probably the worst part was in a big gust the boat would list pretty far to one side, feeling like it was going to roll.

Boy, there's a unimaginable amount of energy in just one storm. Not just electricity, which there is plenty of, but wind, rain, up and down drafts, waves and everything associated with it. If you could harness THAT..........
We tried to skirt that one but it was just too wide and we finally just had to dive in.
In one section there had to be 40 knot cross winds but wave height was not that bad, the wind was blowing the tops off and the rain was beating them down. Probably the worst part was in a big gust the boat would list pretty far to one side, feeling like it was going to roll.

Crazy!! Reminds of that storm that took out those two FL kids a year or so ago that we have talked about here.

Levi, one word: paddle board.

Well that's two words. But you are kinda one with the sea on those. Or the lake, pond, river etc.

Just not in a storm.
It's weird about seasickness Levi. My Daddy would get sick on a freshwater lake and my son is not far behind that. A older friend was so sick and had lost so much fluid (and everything else) last year that I was really concerned that he might suffer long term effects or worse. The fish were biting like crazy and I really wanted to stay but I didn't know how I would explain his death to his wife so we brought him in.

Back