Fishing 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First class fishing right there.
It really is Mr. B. Those big snapper fight like Bruce Lee and taste like, well, red snapper!. The seas these last few days have been really calm, making the run and the fishing a lot more enjoyable too.

amazing. i really need to come visit you. i would just love to catch a fish like that one day.

It would blow my mind to pull one of those in, cook it up and eat it. How much would you guess there is of edible meat on one of those?

It would blow my mind to pull one of those in, cook it up and eat it. How much would you guess there is of edible meat on one of those?
I've never weighed it out but I'd guess it's around half Sean. Ten pounds of boneless fillets off a twenty pounder. I save the throats and cheeks on the big ones so you could add a pound or two for that.

YUMMMMM!

Biggest fish I ever caught was a 36 lb striped bass, my arm nearly fell off reeling it in. Lordy the good eating that blessed creature provided!! #Appreciation!

A 36 pound striper, wow, I bet that was a heck of a fight. We have a few small ones in freshwater and the striper/white bass hybrids but few ever reach 5 pounds. Did you catch him in CT Corey?

It was a heckuva fight. It was at a place in LI Sound about an hour drive east of here. Its called The Race:

"Not for the inexperienced boater. deep fast water can be dangerous. It's located eight miles southeast of Niantic Bay at the mouth of Long Island Sound. It is commonly accessed from the Jordon Cove or Niantic River launches in Waterford.

Big stripers and gorilla bluefish hold in The Race all summer, thanks to the schools of baitfish that congregate there."

Its very interesting because you go fairly far off shore to The Race where depth changes from 250' to 50' which causes the surface of the water there to go kind of crazy. And the crazy current makes it even harder to reel in those bass.

Now that I think of it, it sounds like the place you fished last week, far out there (relatively) but shallow.

The biggest fish I ever hooked was the one that got away. :cry:
That's true for every fisherman I've ever known Jay.
I like catching those "gorilla bluefish" too Cory. We don't get many here over three or four pounds but about twenty years ago we had a run of ten pound fish that lasted all summer and man that was fun! They can just annihilate a big topwater lure. Literally. We started making our own lures out of hickory because they were destroying all our store bought plastic stuff.

Ha so true! Back in the day we used to make our lures out of wooden dowel, paint em up and install hooks, then love to see the teeth marks all over them after catching some blues.

When the blues are breaking I think you could catch one with treble hooks on a beer can!

About 95 feet V. We were on an old shrimp boat wreck that was loaded with snapper, hundreds at least. I have no idea how many we released.

Ray, I was at a fishing supply store recently, and looking at the reels in the glass cases, they sure seem sophisticated. All kinds of automatic stuff and window readouts, I guess battery operated? I'm not sure what they all can do. I wonder how they affect the fishing experience. Have you used those? I guess a number of the makers are over here, Shindaiwa and such.

I see them too Jay but haven't tried any, my stuff is pretty basic. The electric reels are used mainly for deep drop fishing in water over 200 feet deep. Most of them connect to a 12 or 24v battery system and you're right, some of those reels are very sophisticated and very expensive, up to around $5,000. For older or disabled folks that like to offshore fish I can see where they would be great. One of the gentlemen that fished with me last week was having a hard time with the bigger fish and he's thinking about buying one.

Kayaked out and caught a couple of tripletail and specked trout this morning. Those triple tail are real bulldogs, they can take you for a ride. P1011164.jpg P1011159.jpg

You ever get tired of having so much fun?!?!?

Thanks Jim. A pretty good squall came up today while I was still about a mile from the launch site and of course there was a stiff headwind and waves to paddle into. In those times it makes you wish for an outboard.

I saw a kayak like that in Lake Ontario Sunday. He had been out fishing and had a nice headwind come up he had to fight hard to get back. Helped him load up-a lot heavier than a normal kayak.

Chatted with him a bit. He is a chain saw carver from Long Island. Had not caught any fish though.

Back