Fishing 2017

Limbrat

TreeHouser
About time to start a new fishing thread. Caught some redfish out of the 'yak this evening. They fight really hard all the time but while the water's cool, they are just brutes and will give you quite a ride.
P1010959.jpg

Kayak fishing!!!! That has to be a freaking blast!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is a blast Cory, nothing like being towed around by a fish. Jay, reds this size are pretty good any way you fix them, the meat is light colored and flaky. Since you convinced me that eating raw fish wouldn't kill me, I've found they are pretty good with only soy and wasabi but my absolute favorite recipe is what we call redfish on the half-shell. I fillet them, leaving skin and scales intact. Seasoned and cooked on the grill skin side down they will make you hurt yourself.

It looked like a white meat type, reminded me of one that is light colored and flaky that we have here. I imagine good in a stew as well.

Awesome big Ray!! Luving the kayak fishing

My opener is last sat. in April for trout, cant wait ;)

I bet they would. I've been trying to get the nerve to do a shark or tarpon trip out of the kayak Gerry, just got some reservations.

I remember reading an article about a guy that hooked a giant tuna while in his small inflatable. Multi hundred pound fish I believe it was. I can't recall exactly, but I think something like three hours or maybe longer to finally succeed in bringing the fish up to his raft. I imagine it was quite a feat to accomplish.

Frightening too, Butch. I once hooked a big Halibut on sport gear when trolling for salmon, in a 12 foot skiff about a mile off shore just south of Ft. Bragg. The ocean was flat and I had a radio to call in case of emergency. That Halibut was in the neighborhood of 200+ lbs. I had it up to the boat two times and it stripped over 200 yards of 40 lb. test off the reel each time heading out to deeper water. I had to fire up the outboard to keep up with that fish. I ended up off of Casper High Point some 2 miles south of Ft. Bragg before the line broke.

The fish was too big to land in the boat anyway. I'd have to tie it by the tail and tow it off the stern. But if it came alive it would tear the stern off the skiff.

The whole time I was torn between trying my damnedest to land that fish or just cut the line, and play it safe. Oh, I couldn't cut the line.

The only reason I stuck with it as long as I did is because it was a flat calm ocean and I had several coves nearby to duck into for safe landing, if the need come.

The whole experience was exhilarating and freighting all at the same time.

Truly a tale of the "Old Man and the Sea". Ah, but I was only 30 then. Bring it on!

My neighbor bud moved to Homer Ak. back in 74. He got on a commercial fishing boat and did that for several years. When he got time off he used to go out in a small boat to fish with a pole. He landed a halibut that was darn near as long as his boat. Got chased by a Kodiak bear that killed his dogs. Wild country.

Not quite fishing, maybe there should be a hunter gatherer thread, but the wife and I took the kayaks out on low tide and picked up a few oysters and a couple of conchs for supper
P1010976.jpg

OOOh, hunter/gatherer thread, that would be bad ass!

They say most people have zero idea where there food comes from and what is in it. Well that is definitely not true with Mr Limbrat ;)

Oh I understand them and I think they understand me Butch. Along with conch fritters and fish I understand them just fine. Or raw or in a stew. I did some fish on the grill tonight too to offset the fried stuff;)
IMG_2314.jpg

Back