What would you charge?

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
So I met a person new to town, I was introduced as the local arborist and he asked me if I knew anyone who serviced chainsaws...

Yes, ME!
Little MS170, barely broke in.

I made up a service sheet a few years ago in anticipation of doing some work. I do the following:

Start it and note any problems as it stands.

Check and clean:
Air filter
Spark plug
Power head
Clutch side (including checking needle bearing)
Sprocket
Spark arrestor screen
Bar check and dress if necessary
Recoil starter rope and pawls (you have to take the whole side off for a 170!)

Blow off with compressed air
Reassemble
Check chain and sharpen

Run and test cut wood

Took me an hr and a bit.

I'm thinking minimum $50 plus parts if needed...

I charge 40 per hour, but only because winters in North Dakota are long and cold. I have nothing else to do, but haul in firewood. There's a dealer 40 miles from here who charges 45 per hour + a minimum shop fee. I've heard that his minimum fee is rather high, but I don't know exactly what it is.

Joel

Me I get $5 for chain off the USG. If I set rakers if needed another $5. 24" under.

I just charge anywhere from $20-$30 a hr USD. Plus parts.
Heck charged a guy $100 labor to rebuild a 460 that was in a box in half plus.
He said dealer wanted $700 with parts. I was $200 total with parts.

Heck depending who you are and how much brew you bring you might walk away with 2 hrs of labor for free. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input...

Definitely have to think about and hourly rate past the minimum for filthy saws!
And yes, barter is ok...

The stihl dealer in town (1 hr away) charges $60 +parts for a basic service and $15 to sharpen a chain.
Just trying to be a bit more attractive pricewise than driving an hr, leaving the saw and having to drive back to go get it who knows when.

If the chain is rock dulled, you can trash it and bring a new one.
I fill for myself some badly dulled chains, but to get some money, I think it doesn't worth the time nor the trouble. A new chain isn't so expensive.
Maybe if you have access to a grinder, it's doable, but by hand ... take care of your renewed shoulder.

If the chain is rock dulled, you can trash it and bring a new one.
I fill for myself some badly dulled chains, but to get some money, I think it doesn't worth the time nor the trouble. A new chain isn't so expensive.
Maybe if you have access to a grinder, it's doable, but by hand ... take care of your renewed shoulder.

I've never mastered those grinders.

I agree on the badly dulled chains. I often just chuck them away.

No one does, they are too small diameter wheels spinning too fast, just burn chain

I think your spot on Fi :thumbup:

Sounds like a great way to make some extra dough thru the slow times!

I would think those cheap-ass HF grinders would be good to straighten out a rocked out chain.
I bought one, thinking I could do something with it after some improving work. But I didn't took the time, even the chain holder can't give the same angle on the both sides. Crap tool.

Me I get $5 for chain off the USG. If I set rakers if needed another $5. 24" under.

I just charge anywhere from $20-$30 a hr USD. Plus parts.
Heck charged a guy $100 labor to rebuild a 460 that was in a box in half plus.
He said dealer wanted $700 with parts. I was $200 total with parts.

Heck depending who you are and how much brew you bring you might walk away with 2 hrs of labor for free. ;)
That's a very friendly and respectably shop rate!

The only time I use my grinder is for rocked chains.

I hear you about the rocked out chains...I don't think anyone would pay for the time to bring it back to good, I'd give them the information they need to go get a new one...or get the shop to post it to me and add a %age.
I don't like those grinders either, too fiddley.

Shoulder is good thanks...I'm not doing anything I shouldn't, feet are still on the ground, literally.
I've just been thinking how to 'value add' my little business (that's the latest catchphrase around here) and jumped on the opportunity when I got asked who services saws...only done the one so far...

I put some posters out and about yesterday...

Back