PPE for filing?

sotc

Dormant hero!!
IMG_20170210_102201_757.jpg

Someone questioned lack of PPE in this picture. Who wears safety glasses to file a saw? I suppose it makes sense, just never thought about it nor had any issue. Nicked my knuckles pretty good over the years but that's it.

A beard net might be a good idea though, when running the saw:lol:

It's good to wear them all day.

Filing outdoors, where wind is a factor, definitely wear 'em.

Luckily, being ferrous metal, I hear they have some magic magnet to pull metal out of your eye.

One-eye Guy lost his eye to an infection from getting a hinge whisker in it.

Yeah. I heard a story about someone snapped a disc on an angle grinder and a shard of it embedded across the shop into the safety glasses on his shop mate's face.

10-4 on the wind. I have had filings in my eye from wind before. I wear reading glasses to make Clarity possible. Always gloves

Me too.

My apprentice had to go to the hospital two weeks ago, to have a filing splinter removed from his eye.
Outdoor filing, with wind.

Good, if somewhat cold.

The stove in the cabin where we stayed is somewhat underpowered, so we had a hard time getting warm.
Sat close to the fire wearing all our clothes the first night , telling Greenland jokes to keep warm.

For some reason, they put a stop to Global warming this week and really turned the temperature down.

Lots of snow and high wind made for some cold days in the woods.
Put a lot of wood on the ground, though. That is what counts.
Snow on the ground gave us about an hour more light to work in, that helped.

What's the wood situation like for the stove? Are you guys sure you're burning the stove hot enough? Is there a thermometer at all? Do you have a infrared thermometer gun?

The stove is itty bitty, Justin.
Will only take pieces of wood 8" long.
My buddy, who owns the cabin, doesn't use it in winter, the stove works fine for spring/fall.

I brought wood from my own shed, simply cut a stack into thirds. I stack my split wood outside for one year, then two years in the shed, so it is DRY.

Once we'd stayed the night and taken turns to feed the stove , we got the place heated through, mostly, and things got more comfortable.

Good to hear. Undersized stoves can have a heck of a time bringing places up to temp but often can maintain temps halfways decently. Sounds like you got it under control. 8"s. Damn. That sounds, well frustrating.

Back