PPE for filing?

My sister was using a old kitchen beater chucked in a drill motor to mix paint. Her hair got sucked into the slots where cooling air is pulled in and wrapped around the armature, a pretty good wad of hair. After I got done laughing a bit I took the drill apart and unwrapped her hair. A little worse for the wear.

Nah, no supreme court can over turn my decisions 😆

Does the plaintiff have a documented excuse for not having a Silvey Chain Grinder?

In such an elaborate shop?

That he makes iz poor laborers sharpen 3-4 foot chains by hand?

Tis the ruling of the court that your LTO license be rescinded, and any logger mention in your commercial decals be redacted!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't feel bad, Willie.
It took me about 25 years to wisen up and start using gloves when filing.
Got the scars to show for it, too.

Worst I've cut my knuckles was not from filing, though.
Broke a cheap Russian made wrench once, really laying into a stuck bolt, and skidded both hands over the engine of an old Hürlimann tractor.
Got my worst cuts sharpening and changing knives on these beasts 2 times a shift
https://youtu.be/DuxXNKh2nEE
Ouch !
Often the hands take hard with mechanic. The bolt comes loose suddenly or the wrench slides and Bam !
I lost many skin bits like that, but never went to the bone (in mechanic, I precise, otherwise ...).

But the fillings are somewhat barbed and it could be difficult to extract them from the eye's tissues.
I got some metal in the eyes, but only with the angle grinder, without or with protective glass. This shit sends loose bits everywhere by direct hits or ricocheting, metal and abrasive grains.
A bench grinder is less dangerous on this point (a little).

I wear a beard too and it could be quite long, as I'm too lazy to cut it. Usually, I take the hair clippers when it begins to be caught in the prussik :D
Wednesday, it was different, and a first one: I jammed my beard very closely under a sling during an self-rigging cut. Well... can't move, what can I do now... hopefully it was only a tuft, so I pulled it up. Ouchy !
Strangely, saturday my beard was shorter again:/:
Hahahahahaha, now that's a story!

The heck is a hinge whisker?
Fell a tree, the hinge breaks, all the hinge fibers stick up like whiskers. After felling, you usually clean off the 'whiskers' from the stump, back-chaining, if you don't want them flung at you.

One-Eye Guy was no of a squinter than a glasses guy. Grew up in logging camps. PPE is for sissies, right?

Fell a tree, the hinge breaks, all the hinge fibers stick up like whiskers. After felling, you usually clean off the 'whiskers' from the stump, back-chaining, if you don't want them flung at you.

One-Eye Guy was no of a squinter than a glasses guy. Grew up in logging camps. PPE is for sissies, right?

Funny you mention a chain's ability to throw dart like projectiles, with considerable force. True of far more than wild stump hinge hairs.

Many palms such as Phoenix dates reclinatas need top O the bar cuts too, or you'll quickly find yourself with right leg full of poisonous darts, with one way barbs n batchit n stuff.

I like to circumnavigate fat trunk wood pushin to cut with top teeth as well. Easier to eyeball too!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I knew a guy that happened to as well. Then he was killed a few years back when the crummy slid over the bank and a rib pierced his heart. The driver lived a rough life, no seat belt on, tossed through the back window and walked away.

A friend of mine is an eye doctor. She says hardly a day goes by without having to remove something from someone's eye. She says there is also removing the occasional eye. :|:

Yes. I had to have a piece of steel picked out. Embedded too deep for a magnet to pull. I was grinding and carefully sending sparks away from me. They hit a small web and richocheted. I have to wear reading glasses to do close work now. Problem solved.

Ditto on the reading glasses for filing.
Funny, we always had to wear gloves for filing in College, but not much was said about glasses, unless you were using the compressor, then it was mandatory.
Until I really needed prescription glasses, I didn't use safety glasses for filing.

Raj, your beard is epic.

The big beard keeps the neck warm and makes the helmet's jugular comfy.\\:D/

But it's really disgusting when it becomes wet with the humidity condensation and then catches chips and sawdust.:toast:

I can't use gloves. I try, but it just don't feel right. I wish I could..
Twice I rubbed file dust in to my eyes. I cut myself many times straitening out chains delivered in bundles or digging thru the boxes looking for chain..

Running saw I can do, but thats about it. I tried as hard as I possibly can.

Back